A recommendation of a decent book on RFC flying training in Egypt

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A4K

Colonel
Dec 17, 2007
The back of beyond
Can anyone recommend a decent book on RFC flying training in Egypt?
Found out recently my great grandfather (Sgt. W.H. Samuel), who had earlier served in the Balkans and Gallipoli, later joined the RFC (as 2/Lt) and flew Avro 504s in Egypt in 1918/19. I would love to find out more about that.

Cheers,
Evan

Last edited:
Hi.

Maybe this could be handy for a start:

Screenshot_2023-04-19-20-07-38-59_e4424258c8b8649f6e67d283a50a2cbc.jpg

Details in this web.

If you think it could be useful PM me.

Can anyone recommend a decent book on RFC flying training in Egypt?
Found out recently my great grandfather (Sgt. W.H. Samuel), who had earlier served in the Balkans and Gallipoli, later joined the RFC (as 2/Lt) and flew Avro 504s in Egypt in 1918/19. I would love to find out more about that.

Cheers,
Evan
Hi
Volume V of the British OH 'War in the Air' by H A Jones, page 449-455 has some information on the Egyptian training, you should be able to find this on-line. 'Cross & Cockade International' a few years ago had a decent article on training in Egypt.

Mike

Awesome, cheers guys!

One document my aunty found in National Archives states 'Since joining RFC flown M.F.3 N(? - hard to make out) Avro. Qualified in Lewis + Vickers aerial guns. Wireless + Topography'

The Avro I am assuming is the 504K trainers used in Egypt (we know he went through training there), but the MF.3 is unusual, as the only types I can think of fitting that description are a Royal Norwegian Air Service type called the Marinen Flyvebaatfabrikk MF.3 (of which only 4 were built), and the French Maurice Farman III, or Henry Farman III, neither of which (as far as I can tell from initial research on the net) were used by the RFC. The Hellenic Air Force did use Farman HF.IIIs, but only until about January 1917. So a wee mystery there :)

(Thanks too to whoever set this up as a seperate thread - Wojtku?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back