A Sunny Day At Avenger Field

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

MIflyer

1st Lieutenant
May 30, 2011
Cape Canaveral
Avenger Field in Texas was the training base for WASP pilots in WWII. After one WASP pilot soloed and was flying her Primary Trainer she decided she'd take a sunbath. She removed her shirt, trimmed up the airplane and leaned back in the cockpit, enjoying the Sun.

Several minutes later she heard a noise and looked up to see two other PT's in close formation with her, one on each side. But rather than WASPs they were manned by male flight students. grinning and waving. Soon more gawkers showed up. The WASP student fumbled, trying to put her shirt back on but lost the garment to the slipstream, which merely encouraged her audience. She headed back to Avenger Field, trying to display as little flesh as possible. After landing she taxied in, peeking over the side of the cockpit just enough to navigate to a parking spot. Other students watched a seemingly empty airplane roll up and shut down. Finally, they head a shout, "Somebody bring me a blanket!"

I recall hearing that Columbia College, an all women's school in my home town in SC, was a no-fly zone in order to reduce the number of mid-airs and dangerous low flying. Even so, at Lake Greenwood SC pilots found that girls would sun themselves on the dock and when an airplane flew over low, they would stand, take off their shirts, and wave them. This resulted in a B-25 making an unplanned ditching. The bomber was recovered in the 1980's, restored to display condition, and today is used as a mascot for the local baseball team, the Capital City Bombers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back