Additional supercharger for a Fw 190?? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

tomo pauk

Creator of Interesting Threads
Apr 3, 2008
A schematic found on internet, as well as on the Calum's book, depicts an interesting remotely-driven 'twin supercharger' in the low fuselage.
(twin S/C + engine stage S/C = three stages of supercharging ??)
Two intercoolers were supposed to be there, too.
schematic
Anyone has some better info? Contraptionn probably never flew?
D Deleted member 68059 - can you help? :)

What drove this unit? Electrical or hydraulic. My first guess was it was a turbo but that diagram says otherwise. Or is it shaft driven - the diagrams suggests so.

Last edited:
The Allies did find a two-stage turbocharger (i.e. two compressor stages and one turbine stage) at the Fw factory at the end of the war, although the one in the diagram appears to be incorrectly labelled.

The Allies did find a two-stage turbocharger (i.e. two compressor stages and one turbine stage) at the Fw factory at the end of the war, although the one in the diagram appears to be incorrectly labelled.

Thank you.
This one seems to be with the turbine driving a 2-stage S/C: diagram.

A schematic found on internet, as well as on the Calum's book, depicts an interesting remotely-driven 'twin supercharger' in the low fuselage.
(twin S/C + engine stage S/C = three stages of supercharging ??)
Two intercoolers were supposed to be there, too.
schematic
Anyone has some better info? Contraptionn probably never flew?
D Deleted member 68059 - can you help? :)
In Calum's book p.388 it is indicated to have a Jumo 213 engine.

The original German drawing is also on p.98 in Dietmar Hermann's book 'Vom ersten Höhenjäger zur FW 190 H' from 2002 which I recently posted here:
A new book in my library.
The German text on the drawing is too small to be read with certainty, but it seems that item 12 is indicated as "Doppellader" or twin supercharger.
The caption states: "Auf der Basis der Versuchs-Höhenjäger entstand ein weiteres Höhenjäger-Projekt mit DB 603 G und Doppellader".
I have seen no mention by Dietmar of Jumo 213 in relation to any FW 190 "Höhenjäger", but maybe Calum has better info.

Thank you.
This one seems to be with the turbine driving a 2-stage S/C: diagram.
Dietmar's book has on p.99 the original German drawing, the caption states: "Weiteres FW 190 Höhenjäger-Projekt mit DB 603 und Hirth Abgasturbolader TKL 15 (9-2279)". The German text on the drawing is again too small to be read.
In 'Flugzeug Classic' of December 2006 was an article about the FW 190 Höhenjäger. It was mainly about the V18U1 but the last part may be of some interest:
Fw 190 Höhenjäger (Flugzeug Classic December 2006 p31).jpg

The original German drawing is also on p.98 in Dietmar Hermann's book 'Vom ersten Höhenjäger zur FW 190 H' from 2002 which I recently posted here:
A new book in my library.
The German text on the drawing is too small to be read with certainty, but it seems that item 12 is indicated as "Doppellader" or twin supercharger.
The caption states: "Auf der Basis der Versuchs-Höhenjäger entstand ein weiteres Höhenjäger-Projekt mit DB 603 G und Doppellader"
I have seen no mention by Dietmar of Jumo 213 in relation to any "Höhenjäger", but maybe Calum has better info.
Silly me, I have the book last five years (or more?) :)
It would be really interesting if Mr. Hermann has the high-resolution copies of the 2 diagrams on the pg. 98 and the one at pg.99.

Dietmar's book has on p.99 the original German drawing, the caption states: "Weiteres FW 190 Höhenjäger-Projekt mit DB 603 und Hirth Abgasturbolader TKL 15 (9-2279)". The German text on the drawing is again too small to be read.
In 'Flugzeug Classic' of December 2006 was an article about the FW 190 Höhenjäger. It was mainly about the V18U1 but the last part may be of some interest:

Thank you again :)

Ask and you will receive :)
By the help of some fellow enthusiast, I've received the report on theoretical spin-off from the Fw 190 line, with wings of 34 sqm, and two external S/C set-ups, one gear-driven, another as a turbo.
Download link for many translated German docs, provided kindly by David Lednicer, no less :)
Box

The doc dealing with the question at hand is this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back