Admiral of the Fleet the Lord Fraser's Fountain Pen

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

pinehilljoe

Staff Sergeant
984
1,130
Joined
May 1, 2016
Location
Northern Virginia, USA
Here's your chance to grab a bit of history. I've just been outbid, but there's still time to get in on it.


 
Here's your chance to grab a bit of history. I've just been outbid, but there's still time to get in on it.


Useless bit of information - during my time in the Navy, I was coffin bearer for Fraser's funeral in Portsmouth in February 1981 (HMS Excellent). Full military honours (gun carriage, etc). Never before, or since, have I seen so many Admirals in one place !!
 
Useless bit of information - during my time in the Navy, I was coffin bearer for Fraser's funeral in Portsmouth in February 1981 (HMS Excellent). Full military honours (gun carriage, etc). Never before, or since, have I seen so many Admirals
Lord Fraser with ADM Lee, and ADM Tovey are the few victors of modern WW2 designed Battleship engagements. I'm not surprised the Brass came out in full. North Cape was text book. Luetjens with the Denmark Straights is another.

Anyone can jump in, but for modern WW2 Battleship engagements I count:
Denmark Straights
Final Sinking of Bismarck
The Night of Friday the 14 off Guadalcanal
North Cape
 
Also, I believe that most of the IJN capital ships were pretty much done by the time the USN battleships got to open fire.
At Surigao that is correct. Coward's and Smoot's destroyers laid into them. One of the greatest text book destroyer attacks in history, and the American torpedoes were finally working.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back