AI Mk.VIII radar on Beaufighter Mk.IF ?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

le_steph40

Senior Master Sergeant
Jan 18, 2011
Montech
www.facebook.com
Hello,

Maybe a stupid question but was it possible to see a Beaufighter Mk.IF from 29 Sqn with an AI Mk.VIII radar during summer 1942 ?
It seems that it appears early in 1942 but not in operation before late 1942...

TIA in advance
Steph

Hello,

Maybe a stupid question but was it possible to see a Beaufighter Mk.IF from 29 Sqn with an AI Mk.VIII radar during summer 1942 ?
It seems that it appears early in 1942 but not in operation before late 1942...

TIA in advance
Steph
Not stupid at all. It was the first centimetric radar, the Mk. VII, not the Mk.VII. Only a few units were produced (about 50 if I remember correctly). Mainly used for low level interception of German mine layers along the south coast of England during 1942. Used in some Beaufighter NF Mk. I which were allocated to some night fighter squadrons (No. 604 Sqn. was one of them). So an all Night camouflaged Beaufighter NF Mk. I with "thimble nose" radome with a centimetric radar did indeed exist during 1942. Reference is the ORB of 604 Sqn. and the book The history of air intercept and the Bristish nightfighter 1939-1959.

Bengt

From 604 Sqn. ORB (AIR 27/2083): "4th June 1942. Normal day flying. At night some searchlight co-operation and patrols on Sturminster G.C.I. Newly equipped Beaus from Hurn with Mark VII A.I. have been comming in during the last few days. This has necessitated the building of a workshop adjoining the hangars for the maintenance. Lectures and demonstrations are being given to the operators of this new low level AI and it is hoped to get operational in a short time." I dont have the 29 Sqn. ORB but belive they also got the AI MK. VII during 1942 as they were one of the night fighter squadrons defending Britain.

Bengt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back