Air Sea Rescue P-47 Flares

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

whstlngdeath

Airman
Oct 14, 2018
The P-47s assigned to the 5th ERS out of Boxted Airfield, England were fitted with wing pylon-mounted dinghies and some type of marker or drift flares on the belly. What exactly were these flares? Were they U.S. issue items or perhaps of English sources, since this squadron was put together rather quickly, and with limited resources. I'm building a 1/6 scale R/C P-47 and will finish in the markings of one of the 5th ERS mounts. I need more info on the design and dimensions of the flares, so I can make some reasonably accurate flares at 1/6 scale.
imageproxy.jpg
tonnny10.jpg

To begin with, I don't exactly know what their purpose was. Were they aerial pyrotechnic flares to mark the location of a downed airman from the air? Or were they smoke markers that would float in the water to make spotting easier from the air? The closest thing I've found to match the shape is the M22A1 ground signal, but that was designed to be rifle launched. Another possibility would be the drift signal, AN-Mk.5, Mod. 1. It's basically the same shape, but with square fins.
DSCF8539 [1024x768].JPG
Screenshot (20).jpg

The P-47s assigned to the 5th ERS out of Boxted Airfield, England were fitted with wing pylon-mounted dinghies and some type of marker or drift flares on the belly. What exactly were these flares? Were they U.S. issue items or perhaps of English sources, since this squadron was put together rather quickly, and with limited resources. I'm building a 1/6 scale R/C P-47 and will finish in the markings of one of the 5th ERS mounts. I need more info on the design and dimensions of the flares, so I can make some reasonably accurate flares at 1/6 scale.View attachment 519892View attachment 519893
Interesting canopy in the top photo. Looks like a form of Malcolm hood that would give better visibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back