Airacobras over Berlin? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

OldGeezer

Airman 1st Class
Dec 11, 2020
The Soviets flew Airacobras right through the end of the war, and there's mention of specific units being involved in the drive to Berlin. But I've never seen a photo of an Airacobra there, and I wonder if anyone else has?

I don't think even the mighty Buffalo could claim that.
Apparently it's true though. "Attack of the Airacobras" says that "During the preparation of the Berlin offensive operation, the aviation-engineering leadership of the 2nd Air Army and divisions gave serious attention to the creation of a supply of spare engines for Airacobras... Of the 1,089 fighter aircraft participating in this operation, 354 were Airacobras." It goes on to list the number of sorties and losses that were experienced in that campaign. And there's this: "Fighter regiments of the 9th Guards Fighter Division [equipped with Airacobras] frequently executed close air support missions (bombing and strafing) against enemy ground targets in the Berlin offensive operation (16 April to 8 May 1945)... The primary ground targets for air strikes by Airacobras were enemy personnel and combat equipment, excluding armored vehicles."

.. the mists of time conceal so much.
There are claims that KingCobras were used by the Soviets at Koningsberg/Kronstad. Forbidden by LL protocols but ....?
"Attack of the Airacobras" mentions them too. "A total of twenty-nine P-63 Kingcobra aircraft had arrived in the [9th Guards Fighter] division during the month of April [1945], received from the 6th Reserve Aviation Brigade. That Division played an active role in combat, but whether they were able to get pilots familiarized and combat-ready in such a short time before the end of the war in Europe, the book doesn't say - and I seriously doubt.

When I was in Berlin a coupla' years ago, I vaguely remember reading a similar thing while researching my photo thread. I do know that post war, Soviet P-39s were based at Finowfurt, which is an hour or so's drive from Berlin, the airfield being the former base of KG 200 where that unit did its testing of Allied bombers, although there's little of that history on display at the museum there, which specifically mentioned the P-39s.

Finow's control tower is still in use today.

48462406192_c5ab09c405_b.jpg
Europe 302

Lenin looking scornfully at us for criticising the P-39...

48462246446_fbf7ef15fd_b.jpg
Europe 319

According to the book "Red Stars No4" by Geust, pg 196 "Only a handful of Kingcobras joined the VVS regiments in the European Theater. Six GIAP received 6 A/C in March 1945 used by 67 GIAP in the Berlin operation. Note: In this book there are photos of P-39's that were fitted with 4-bladed props so one must be careful in the ID of P-63's in Europe. The shape of the vertical stabilizer would be the key item to confirm aircraft type.

According to the book "Red Stars No4" by Geust, pg 196 "Only a handful of Kingcobras joined the VVS regiments in the European Theater. Six GIAP received 6 A/C in March 1945 used by 67 GIAP in the Berlin operation. Note: In this book there are photos of P-39's that were fitted with 4-bladed props so one must be careful in the ID of P-63's in Europe. The shape of the vertical stabilizer would be the key item to confirm aircraft type.
Is this the photo you're referring to?

p-39q-jpg.jpg

I'm showing 809 P-39-21 and -25s were fitted with a four-bladed Aeroproducts propeller. The P-39Q-30 went back to the 3 bladed prop. I don't have performance data right now

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back