aircraft codes of 9./KG 76 on August 18, 1940

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

tit-mellil

Recruit
Apr 6, 2016
Hello,

From March 6 to March 10, 2016, I made the Dornier 17 Z Monogram at 1:72, owned since December 12, 1970.
Following internet research and the purchase of Techmod decals (ref 72107), I found a decoration from the Battle of Britain that I liked, given the tragic but epic story of a group of 9 dorniers DO 17 Z of the 9th staffel of KG 76, August 18, 1940, flying at low altitude to bomb the Kenley airfield in England.

The aircraft identification codes for 9 / KG 76 were F1 + xT with the personal letter of each aircraft in yellow.
Thanks to Techmod decals, I had three good sized yellow letters: A, E and D.
So I could do F1 + AT, F1 + DT and F1 + ET and F1 + LT (by removing 2 horizontal bars from E).

This feat of arms can be found in many books and websites specializing in the Battle of Britain.
So I tried to find data and images of the 9 planes with their respective codes and their crews, but despite the many sources, none of them was precise enough to give me all the details I wanted.

The expedition commander's F1 + DT is well documented and features in many images taken after his crash near Kenley.

Petersen's F1 + HT can be identified by the image of the code visible on the remains of the tail of this aircraft on Kenley.

I also spotted images of F1 + CT, F1 + LT and F1 + MT on images of the flight mission, but without being able to link them to specific crews. I know the story of the crew of each pilot of the 9 Dornier, but not the codes of the planes linked to these crews.

It was a shame because I had the decals to do F1 + AT or F1 + ET but I didn't know if these 2 planes in the July 1940 versions participated or not to the mission of August 18, 1940.
So I made the F1 + DT plane from Lamberty and Roth, the chief of the mission.

The identification code of one of the 5 damaged was F1 + CT (Reichel) and the F1 + MT (image of the Wing Master special Battle of Britain) had undoubtedly participated in the epic, but I could not connect them to a precise kette. For the 6 Dornier with an unknown code (2 fallen into the sea, 2 of the 3 crashed in France and 2 landed), I found no information on the Internet.
Recently, I clearly saw the F1 + LT on a picture taken near the English coast in one book in a library.

In 2020, these mysteries are not yet resolved for me, so I am coming to the forum.

Does anyone have information on the codes of the 9 planes and the name of the pilot of each plane?
do you know of books that have missing data?

Thank you in advance for your research.

Missed data :
Nine planes of the 9th staffel, or 3 Kettes of 3 planes participated in the operation of August 18, 1940:
Kette head center:
leading F1 + DT Oberleutnant Rudolf Lamberty + Hauptmann Squadron Leader Joachim Roth
on the left the F1 + .T ?
on the right the F1 + .T ?

Left Kette:
leading F1 + HT Feldwebel Johannes Petersen + Oberst Otto Sommer (Staff passenger in training)
on the left the F1 + .T Unteroffizier Günther Unger
on the right the F1 + .T Unteroffizier Bernhard Schumacher

Right Kette:
leading F1 + .T Oberleutnant Hermann Magin + war correspondent Georg Hinze
on the left the F1 + .T ?
on the right the F1 + .T Feldwebel Otto Stephani

Unresolved items:
Feldwebel Wilhelm Raab, driver of an F1 + .T, in which kette?
Unteroffizier Mathius Maassen, driver of an F1 + .T, in which kette?
Feldwebel Reichel, F1 + CT pilot, with Rolf von Pebal, war photographer, in which kette?
Hauptman Gustav Peters, in formation of bombing at low altitude on plane piloted by?

Is the data below related to two of the raid pilots?
On Kracker Luftwaffe Archive, he mentioned a "Maassen Mathias" Unteroffizier on a DO 17 Z-2 from 9 / KG 76 (code F1 + AT) lost on 01 / 09/1940 (POW 1 September, 1940; sd by British fighters near Dungeness. While R / O Gefr Georg Speiss went down with the ac, Observer Lt Wilhelm Friedrich Illg (RK 10/1/40), Gunner Heinrich Wöhner and Maassen bailed safely).
Günther Unger, was allegedly taken down on March 12, 1941 on a Ju 88A-5 Werk # 7188 "F1 + BT" shot at The Croft, Wychbold, Worestershire by a Defiant of No. 307 Sq. (Sgt Jankowiak) and / or by the flak (Ju 88 Loss List). Crew Identification: R / O Uffz Franz Bergmann; Engr Ofw Willi Dirk and Gnr Fw August Meier, all POWs. (origin: Kracker Luftwaffe Archive)

Took a quick look through my copy of "The Hardest Day" by Alfred Price. Gets into a lot of detail on the individual raids but does not ID the aircraft. There are several well know pictures of the low flying Do17's and if you get a good copy somewhere, you may be able to read the codes.

Thank you Crimea-River for your help!
I searched all the images of the raid and found 2 of the codes of the 9 Dornier LT and MT on the fuselages of aircraft in flight, but without being able to know which crews and which kettes were affected.

Users who are viewing this thread