American powered glider (PG-2A) in British markings! Info needed! (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Capt. Vick

Staff
Mod
Jul 23, 2008
Long Island, New York
Gents,

Can anyone shed light on what the colors of the camo on this hybrid would be?

pg2a.jpg

It appears to have (at least) the underside of the wing-tips painted one color (or colour if you like), the vertical another (or is that just sunshine?) and the fuselage still another. Any suggestions?

Also, does any one have any other pictures of this bird?

Thanks in advance, Jim

probably just sunshine from the angle of the photo. I didn't know that power was ever tried on them before. Definitely an interesting idea, and I wonder how well it flew.

That is definitely a different color on the wing's outboard underside, and from the looks of it, that light color wraps up and onto the top of the wing as well. If you look carefully, just past the cockpit, you can see the same thing on the starboard wing.

My guess is that the color is a shade of yellow, perhaps denoting a prototype?

I thought it was yellow as well. According to my knowledge the PG-2A was used by the RCAF for trials. Comparing to the yellow ring of the RAF roundel and the yellow serial on the fin to the tinge of the wing tips it is very possible it was the colour.

George,

Canada makes perfect sense. Why lug that pig across the Atlantic? Thanks for that. Funny thing is I took the picture from that very page but didn't read the text! Duh! By the way is the a place in Canada that I can write away to for more info?

Thanks, Jim

Thanks also to the two distinguished gentlemen who suggested yellow. Will research further. Do you think roundels are on the top of the wing since they are absent on the underside?

Ok, so far as I have found, that PG-2A pictured is in RCAF markings.

Here's a reference: Waco PG-2A

I have tried every possible way imaginable to see if there's any photos of ANY RCAF gliders (powered or not) to determine if the RCAF roundel was on the upper wing surfaces. I would imagine there were, although what the size and placement would be would most likely be consistent with contemporary RCAF aircraft.

Canada changed from the RAF roundel to the RCAF roundel shown below, in 1946 though I can't find the change over date. I'm thinking the topside roundels would have followed the fuselage ones and remained British on the glider.

rcaf_type1_roundel.jpg

Geo

Odd...I couldn't upload the image the normal way, I had to use Basic Uploader, @2330 my time. Never happened before.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back