Anybody Need a TA-152H Pilot's Manual?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Actually, back in the early 70's someone did find a TA-152H in a barn in Georgia. Initial reports said that the fools were going to try to make it an Unlimited racer.

No kidding, there was mention in an early 70's aviation magazine about the TA-152 being found. I do not know what happened to it, but thank goodness they did not race it; I know of no better way to ensure its destruction.

I can only imagine the airplane was given to GA Tech or some other university to study after WWII and then a new neat freak university president came along and ordered they get rid of it. Many of the USAAF's WWI aircraft collection as well as various display birds got discarded because of that kind of thing.

This story is probably a mis-reporting of the finding of the FW-190D13 that eventually ended up in the Champlin Fighter Museum in Mesa, AZ. In the 70's (I believe) it was actually sent to Germany for initial restoration where Kurt Tank was personally invloved. I visited this plane many times when I was in Phoenix on business. When the museum was closed, most of the collection was sold to the Museum of Flight in Seattle. I've not been to Seattle since, but hope to visit it one day.

Before the Dora went North, it was restored (again) by Gosshawk Unlimited, where the wings that had been mounted on this plane were swapped with the wings on the D9 from the NMUSAF in Dayton (the wings differ in small details such as the D13 has a cannon eject port that the D9 did not have, etc.). The 2 planes had been at the same event sometime in the 60's and the wings were carelessly shipped back with the incorrect planes by mistake and the problem was never corrected. I'll bet it took a LOT of paperwork to convince the Museum to send the wings (or maybe the whole plane?) to Gosshawk so they could both be restored to their proper planes.

Speaking of Doras, does anyone know the status of the D9 that Collings bought and is supposedly restoring?

American Aero Services, about 60 miles from my home, is restoring an FW-190 for Collings, name is "White One."
fw-190-white-one.gif

That's an FW-190F-8, a different plane Collings is also restoring to flying condition. From these shots, it's clear they're doing a 'down to the nuts and bolts' level restoration. Must be nice to have that much money... but I'm glad that someone that does has chosen to spend it on this. When the D9 is ready to fly, I'll find a way to get there, wherever that is...

Last edited:
This story is probably a mis-reporting of the finding of the FW-190D13 that eventually ended up in the Champlin Fighter Museum in Mesa, AZ. In the 70's (I believe) it was actually sent to Germany for initial restoration where Kurt Tank was personally invloved. I visited this plane many times when I was in Phoenix on business. When the museum was closed, most of the collection was sold to the Museum of Flight in Seattle. I've not been to Seattle since, but hope to visit it one day.

Before the Dora went North, it was restored (again) by Gosshawk Unlimited, where the wings that had been mounted on this plane were swapped with the wings on the D9 from the NMUSAF in Dayton (the wings differ in small details such as the D13 has a cannon eject port that the D9 did not have, etc.). The 2 planes had been at the same event sometime in the 60's and the wings were carelessly shipped back with the incorrect planes by mistake and the problem was never corrected. I'll bet it took a LOT of paperwork to convince the Museum to send the wings (or maybe the whole plane?) to Gosshawk so they could both be restored to their proper planes.

Speaking of Doras, does anyone know the status of the D9 that Collings bought and is supposedly restoring?
Unfortunately WAY down on the priority list. More than a few years undoubtedly. They are concentrating on getting the new B-17, PBY and "Rosie" done first. Rosie and the radial Wulf should be done early next year. Rosie is almost done according to Rob. My understanding is that anything going on the tour has priority first...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back