Ar-234 Rare photographs. T9+GL, W.Nr 140608 from "Kommando Bonow"" and 4U+DH under control Hans Felde

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Stas1234

Airman
Aug 17, 2024
Hello. I draw camouflages on 3D models of European aircraft, more precisely on the AR-234.

Now I am interested in 2 camouflages "T9+GL, W.Nr 140608 from "Kommando Bonow"" and 4U+DH under the command of Hans Felde, returning to their bases in Rheine. Shot down on February 11, 1945 by the British Air Force.

As far as I know, the 4U+DH camouflage was roughly painted with RLM-82 winter field surface camouflage (factory camouflage), but these are just words, and I have a hard time painting just words on models. Therefore, I ask you to share with me photographs of the aircraft with the number 4U+DH, if you have them.

But if you have other ar-234 photos that are very hard to find on the internet, then I and maybe other users wouldn't mind getting them.

Last edited:
Ken Merrick wrote a multi volume work on Luftwaffe camouflage. He told me, when I was drawing an Ar 234, that in the late stages of the war the camouflage applied to the Ar 234 was not applied as a thick paint, rather it was spray as a thinner wash, so didn't appear as bright as you see in the colour chips. He said the NASAM restoration was incorrect in this resepect because they had applied the top-coat in a solid opaque application and as a result the colours were very bright.
Now this conversation was many years ago, so I I can't fill you in on any of the other details...like was the top coat sprayed straight over the manufactured finish (light grey filler over join lines etc and the rest dull natural aluminium), or was there a light spray of primer first.

Ken Merrick wrote a multi volume work on Luftwaffe camouflage. He told me, when I was drawing an Ar 234, that in the late stages of the war the camouflage applied to the Ar 234 was not applied as a thick paint, rather it was spray as a thinner wash, so didn't appear as bright as you see in the colour chips. He said the NASAM restoration was incorrect in this resepect because they had applied the top-coat in a solid opaque application and as a result the colours were very bright.
Now this conversation was many years ago, so I I can't fill you in on any of the other details...like was the top coat sprayed straight over the manufactured finish (light grey filler over join lines etc and the rest dull natural aluminium), or was there a light spray of primer first.
Do you happen to know where you can read his books?

Last edited:
As far as I know, the 4U+DH camouflage was roughly painted with RLM-82 winter field surface camouflage (factory camouflage)
Is there any reason to think that 4U+DH had winter camouflage rather than the standard two-tone green with pale grey undersides? As far as I remember, the white winter overspray was only seen on a few of KG 76's Arado bombers and not on the Ar 234s of any other unit.

Do you happen to know where you can read his books?
There is a photo and profile of another 1.(F)/123 aircraft, 4U+EH (W.Nr. 140454) in Combat Aircraft 134: Arado Ar 234 Bomber and Reconnaissance Units (Osprey, 2020) by Robert Forsyth and Nick Beale. The aircraft has standard camouflage and all four characters of its fuselage code are in black.

Ken Merrick's two-volume Luftwaffe Camouflage and Markings, 1933-1945 books were published by Classic Publications in 2004 (Vol. 1) and 2005 (Vol. 2). You may be able to obtain used copies via the abebooks website or eslewhere online.

But if you have other Ar 234 photos that are very hard to find on the internet, then I and maybe other users wouldn't mind getting them.
If researchers have unseen photos, they usually intend to use them in a publication. I don't know anyone who would hold back their best material when they write a book or magazine article.

Last edited:
Is there any reason to think that 4U+DH had winter camouflage rather than the standard two-tone green with pale grey undersides? As far as I remember, the white winter overspray was only seen on a few of KG 76's Arado bombers and not on the Ar 234s of any other unit.

There is a photo and profile of another 1.(F)/123 aircraft, 4U+EH (W.Nr. 140454) in Combat Aircraft 134: Arado Ar 234 Bomber and Reconnaissance Units (Osprey, 2020) by Robert Forsyth and Nick Beale. The aircraft has standard camouflage and all four characters of its fuselage code are in black.

Ken Merrick's two-volume Luftwaffe Camouflage and Markings, 1933-1945 books were published by Classic Publications in 2004 (Vol. 1) and 2005 (Vol. 2). You may be able to obtain used copies via the abebooks website or eslewhere online.

If researchers have unseen photos, they usually intend to use them in a publication. I don't know anyone who would hold back their best material when they write a book or magazine article.
Do you happen to know the serial number of the F1+AD aircraft?

don't know anyone who would hold back their best material when they write a book or magazine article.
I have seen and bought things. Going through archives ebay and what not for eons and eons

I personally think the research after a picture is far more interessing that it at it self. I do get that.
A pic of ar234 is nice but knowing where who what, what happened in time frame is the bizz.

Buy books. Or mags .
And kits. Best a kit with books but i am sure most of you guys do that anyway.

Do you happen to know how the Germans applied white washable paint to the ar-234?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back