Arado Ar 196 floatplane reliability

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The RN began WW2 with a variety of floatplane types on their ships.

Fairey Seafox on the lighter cruisers like Ajax and Achilles at the Battle of the River Plate (66 built from mid 1930s and in service until mid-war) (Edit - Achilles had a longer catapult and used the Walrus by River Plate)

Fairey Swordfish on some Battleships like Warspite in the Second Battle of Narvik (credited with sinking a U-boat) and Malaya.

Supermarine Seagull V and Walrus on most other larger cruisers and Battleships.

The successor to the Walrus was intended to be the Supermarine Sea Otter. It's service entry was delayed by the start of WW2.

And the successor to that was to have been the Supermarine Type 381 Seagull, which eventually flew in 1948.

Perhaps less well known is the RAF habit of specifying that there should be floatplane versions of most naval aircraft. So the second prototype Fairey Albacore was tested at the MAEE in early 1940 equipped with floats. These proved unsuccessful due to the "dirtiness" of the floats so no further development took place. The Blackburn Roc turret fighter was also trialled on floats in mid-1940 (a precursor to the Japanese floatplane fighters of WW2) and a squadron formed to operate them. The trials proved so bad the plan was dropped

The RN began removing floatplanes from its warships (other than carriers) in 1942 with the last disappearing in early 1944. Amongst the last were the Vought OS2U Kingfishers on the AMC operating in the Indian Ocean.

In this RN training film dating from Aug 1940 you can see how the shipboard catapults were operated and how floatplanes were launched and recovered.

The other recovery method used inter-war was the Hein Mat.

Last edited:
Weather and blast are why the Brits began using garages, okay, hangars for their float planes.

View attachment 669383

HMS Warspite

View attachment 669384
The USN also used hangars to protect their floatplanes on their cruisers after the Pensacola class and excluding the small Atlantas.

Either amidships in the Northampton, New Orleans and Alaska classes

Or in the stern of the Brooklyn, Wichita, Cleveland and Baltimore classes accessed by a lift.

Many German and French Navy larger ships also had hangars to protect at least some of the aircraft they carried.

The USN also used hangars to protect their floatplanes on their cruisers after the Pensacola class and excluding the small Atlantas.

Either amidships in the Northampton, New Orleans and Alaska classes

Or in the stern of the Brooklyn, Wichita, Cleveland and Baltimore classes accessed by a lift.

Many German and French Navy larger ships also had hangars to protect at least some of the aircraft they carried.
But not on their battleships. I suppose once they had several dozen CVs plus cruisers they could delete aircraft on the BBs.

But not on their battleships. I suppose once they had several dozen CVs plus cruisers they could delete aircraft on the BBs.
All the US Battleships carried floatplanes through to the end of WW2. All exposed to the elements on the stern of the ships (except Arkansas, New York & Texas which carried them midships). The helicopter only began to replace the floatplane on the Iowas from about 1948/49. By then everything else had been laid up or used in the atomic tests at Bikini in 1946.

The New 16 in gun ships had 2 catapults as designed and storage space for 4 planes(?).
I don't know if all 4 could be struck below in case of foul weather.
The BB seemed to retain their float planes?
Some of the cruisers lost one catapult and had a reduced number of aircraft?
They were trying to reduce top weight so they could mount more AA guns.

One of the friends I had in grade school's father had flown Kingfishers from the BB Colorado in WW II.
One of the main jobs of the float planes was artillery/gunnery spotting and they had nothing to do with long range search.
From the late 20s on, the 8in cruisers and BB were supposed to use their float planes to spot the fall of shot in long range gun duals.
This may not have worked in actual combat but it was a large part of US doctrine and annual war games for some or all of the 1930s.
radar eventually replaced the aircraft for shell spotting, at least at sea.

My uncle was about to exit the Navy when Pearl Harbor was attacked. He, of course, stayed in the Navy for the duration of the war. He flew off cruisers and battleships during the war, but I didn't know about any of that until a year or two before he passed away. I never got the chance to ask him about which aircraft he was in. I don't even know if he was a pilot or "aircrew", he was awfully closemouthed about it all, until he reached the age of 95, when he told me about some of it. He passed away last Thanksgiving. Heckuva nice guy, always.

My uncle was about to exit the Navy when Pearl Harbor was attacked. He, of course, stayed in the Navy for the duration of the war. He flew off cruisers and battleships during the war, but I didn't know about any of that until a year or two before he passed away. I never got the chance to ask him about which aircraft he was in. I don't even know if he was a pilot or "aircrew", he was awfully closemouthed about it all, until he reached the age of 95, when he told me about some of it. He passed away last Thanksgiving. Heckuva nice guy, always.
If you know which ships he served on, or units he served in, then it is possible to identify the aircraft types they carried / operated through the regular USN reports on aircraft locations available here.

Even in Aug 1945 some cruisers were still using the biplane SOC while the rest and all the Battleships were using a mix of the OS2U Kingfisher or the single seat SC-1 Seahawk

The monoplane and Radar put paid to the float/sea plane.

In order to reliably intercept a opponent, you need a 25% speed advantage:
In '35 a Nakajima E8N "Dave" with top speed of ~190 mph wasn't going to be reliably intercepted by a ~194 mph Hawker Nimrod.​
But by '40, a Fairey Fulmar top speed ~272 mph was making life, exciting for an Aichi E13A "Jake" but it was still possible.​
And by '45 a Seafire XV with top speed >400 mph meant it wasn't safe to operate a Kawanishi E15K "Violet Cloud" top speed <300 mph​

In addition, Radar was far more precise for fire control, worked in all weather/light conditions better than a float/sea plane and you didn't have the issues with radio on wrong frequency, recovering the airplane and/or storing gasoline aboard ship.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back