Are engineering drawings available for the Wright Cyclone R-1820-97 engine?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

That's superb bse7entn, thanks so much for your efforts - it should make a great basis for a model. While most of these dimensions are for attachment points and outlets, I can estimate the component dimensions from them. If you ever notice any real dimensions quoted for the major assemblies then it would be great to have that confirmation please. Thanks again for your help with this, very much appreciated.

Cool, glad to help. Here's another from the same manual. There are some other charts but they don't have dimensions.

WrightCyclone9GC_dwg415155.png

Hi,

Wondering if these are available in digital or microfilm format please? Accurate 3 view plans would be a good start but I'd really love to delve into the detail.
Really hoping they didn't end up in a dumpster like so many.

Thanks!

There are some 2000 detail technical drawings of R-1820 parts available at the Australian Archives site under two barcodes
Digital copy of Record: 33109544 – SODA
Digital copy of Record: 33109547 – SODA

I would try 3310955 and 3310956 as well because they may also be the same topic

No worries. I have a 24 megapixel camera with fixed 60mm macro lens that takes amazing document images. I have soft lighting and a magicarm mounted to a horizontal bar that let's me take very nice orthographic images with limited distortion. It's the best way I've found to do this without dismantling the books. Scanners don't work, because of the binding.

It's a process but it's worth it. And now I have a service manual on the way.

There are several commercial machines made to photograph bound books without damage and the cost is obscene but there is also at least one open source project base at DIY Book Scanner Designs that allows you to built a basic to a professional level one for minimal cost and even includes the files so you can laser cut all the plywood parts.
They even cover critical material like what sort of lighting is best and why. As you scroll through the options presented right click on any that appeal to you and open in a new tab/page to get full details.

I have included the assembly manual for one of the professional level units and I have all the dxf files for this machine if you cant find them.

Happy hunting and photographing

There is also a newer extruded metal version which is shown in use the attached video

Attachments

• assemblymanual.pdf
    4 MB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Thanks MiTasol, nice find. These appear to be mainly small part drawings but there may be some larger structures buried in there.

No problems, I will keep you updated if I see more.

There is currently an inquiry into the NAA and I am recommending they re-introduce a feature they had for about a year where you click on one icon and download the complete file as a PDF instead of spending hours downloading one page at a time.

Anyone can add their support by contacting [email protected] before next Friday 14 June Aus time (Thursday in EU and the Americas). See About us – National Archives of Australia, Australian Government for more details.

This is the feature they deleted and the more people demand its reinstatement the better the chances of it happening.
In your case estimate the hours it will take you to download the 1005 page file including indexing each page and filing it in your chosen location.

Given I am on Australia's government owned monopoly, the nightmare bloody network (officially known as the nbn), in a remote area with download speeds often well below 1mbs (0.02mbs is not uncommon) it takes me an average of one minute per page. If I could download as a single file before 6am when the system is running closer to the paid for 25mbs it would download the whole file in a minute or two (or less).

1560028661796.png

Last edited:
If you go to Home – SODA and do a last month search for RAAF files you will find there are now 15 files of R-1830 blueprints with up to 1000 pages per file.

You will still need a parts list to identify the -97 parts but the few drawings I looked at were excellent quality

If you click on the arrowed icon the file should download as a PDF

1565677461530.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back