Avro PBA Privateer, Lancaster in US Navy service

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ChrisPL

Airman
Jul 16, 2021
I have no time to make a model, nor photoshop skills, but maybe someone will be interested in an idea:
Avro PBA Privateer.

US Navy and US AAF were disappointed with B-17s` counter-ship achivements during Pacific campaigns - the role B-17 was considered as primary! - and, on the other hand, were impressed by the successes of torpedo attacks, especialy on Bismarck as well as the fate of HMSs Prince of Wales and Repulse. What the US forces lacked, was an long-range torpedo(s) equipped patrol aircraft. None of the American bombers was suited for this role, but Americans knew the possibilities of the British Avro Lancaster, that bomb bay could accept two torpedos and the radar could scan the water below. The deal for 60 Lancasters, named in US Navy service PBA Privateer, was done quickly, and the planes were equipped with American radios, .30-06 Brownings etc.

(As it was 1942, the name "Privateer" was not connected with "Liberator"`s variant yet, and was given to "Lancaster")

Baptism of fire was also quick and brutal - Privateers were sent to Nouvelle Caledonie, and harrased the Tokyo Express ships at Solomon Islands. They inflicted heavy losses on Japanese ships, as the long-range torpedo bombers were not expected by the Japanese crews. Some machines were lost, and new order for PBA-2 were put, with some modifications, such as .50 HMGs in turrets, modified radar and radioaltimeter, very useful during low-level attacks.
The last moment of glory for Privateers was na operation against IJN Yamato - along with carrier-borne planes, they sent the battleship as a class into the void.

I hope someone will be inspired and make a model, I will be very happy if You like the story :)
Was such an idea reckognized by Americans?

(I posted this in wrong place previously, I`m sorry).

If...

Sorry, some statistics on the Avro Lancaster bomber.

At 1941 delivered 10 Lancasters (AVRO at Manchester).

At 1942 delivered 688 Lancasters (AVRO at Manchester and Yeadon 516 a/c, Metropolitan-Vickers at Manchester 142 a/c, Armstrong-Whitworth at Coventry 30).

Jan 1942 delivered 12 Lancasters, Dec 1942 109 Lancasters.

At 1942 lost 227 Lancasters with Bomber Command (operational) squadrons (12 Lancasters No 1 Group - 9 operational losses, 3 non-op; No 5 Group - 203 Lancaster lost, 177 lost at ops, 26 non-op losses; No 8 PFF Group - 12 aircrafts, 10 ops, 2 non/op; Bomber Command squadrons), plus 9 (Conversion Flights and Conversion Units). 1941 losses: nil.

Lancaster Squadrons (1942):
No 1 Group - 101 Squadron, 103 Squadron, 460 Squadron.
No 5 Group - 9, 44, 49, 50, 57, 61, 83 (15 Aug 1942 transferred to PFF), 97, 106, 207.
No 8 PFF Group - 83 Squadron.
(13 Bomber Command Squadrons - with two operational flights, theoretically, about 260 Lancasters at Squadrons at end of this year? At end of this year Lancaster also with 1654, 1660 and 1661 Conversion Units. And many Lancs also tested with A&AEE and other units.)

And between June to August 1942 small detachment (from 44, 50 and 61 Squadron) transferred to Coastal Command, Nutts Corner and St. Eval airfield. (Single U-Boat "kill" - U 751, 17 July 1942.)

Well, it`s a "what-if" ;) And they, let`s say, did not enter US service all in the same moment. My intention is to make any of you thinking "Yes, it sounds both cool and crazy, I`ll make such a model" :) Being a father of 2 and 8 y.o. girls makes me have no free time for modelling...

Well, it`s a "what-if" ;) And they, let`s say, did not enter US service all in the same moment. My intention is to make any of you thinking "Yes, it sounds both cool and crazy, I`ll make such a model" :) Being a father of 2 and 8 y.o. girls makes me have no free time for modelling...
My twin daughters just left the home for their first year in university. My first thought after I cleared the basement of all their debris.... after 18 years it's time to start modeling again.

If...

Sorry, some statistics on the Avro Lancaster bomber.

At 1941 delivered 10 Lancasters (AVRO at Manchester).

At 1942 delivered 688 Lancasters (AVRO at Manchester and Yeadon 516 a/c, Metropolitan-Vickers at Manchester 142 a/c, Armstrong-Whitworth at Coventry 30).

Jan 1942 delivered 12 Lancasters, Dec 1942 109 Lancasters.

At 1942 lost 227 Lancasters with Bomber Command (operational) squadrons (12 Lancasters No 1 Group - 9 operational losses, 3 non-op; No 5 Group - 203 Lancaster lost, 177 lost at ops, 26 non-op losses; No 8 PFF Group - 12 aircrafts, 10 ops, 2 non/op; Bomber Command squadrons), plus 9 (Conversion Flights and Conversion Units). 1941 losses: nil.

Lancaster Squadrons (1942):
No 1 Group - 101 Squadron, 103 Squadron, 460 Squadron.
No 5 Group - 9, 44, 49, 50, 57, 61, 83 (15 Aug 1942 transferred to PFF), 97, 106, 207.
No 8 PFF Group - 83 Squadron.
(13 Bomber Command Squadrons - with two operational flights, theoretically, about 260 Lancasters at Squadrons at end of this year? At end of this year Lancaster also with 1654, 1660 and 1661 Conversion Units. And many Lancs also tested with A&AEE and other units.)

And between June to August 1942 small detachment (from 44, 50 and 61 Squadron) transferred to Coastal Command, Nutts Corner and St. Eval airfield. (Single U-Boat "kill" - U 751, 17 July 1942.)
Monthly production of Lancasters

Not sure why we should believe that Lancaster would be a better torpedo bomber than the B- 17?
If the US wanted a 4-engined torpedo bomber surely they would adapt the most successful long-range marine warfare aircraft of the war, the B-24 and its variants to carry such weapons- much easier I would have thought?

Not sure why we should believe that Lancaster would be a better torpedo bomber than the B- 17?
If the US wanted a 4-engined torpedo bomber surely they would adapt the most successful long-range marine warfare aircraft of the war, the B-24 and its variants to carry such weapons- much easier I would have thought?
B 24 s did carry homing torpedoes

A PBY carried out the only successful torpedo attack for the USN during the Battle of Midway.

While it's an interesting what-if, there's no way in Hell Harris is going to let 60 Lancs go to the Americans. He fought tooth-and-nail to prevent their deployment with Coastal Command, albeit losing that fight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back