B-17G Chin Turret Lines

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

bse7entn

Airman
May 29, 2018
blenderartists.org
Greetings,

I'm working on a 3D model for a B-17G chin turret but I'm having trouble locating where some cables run.
I have some electrical schematics but they don't exactly tell you where the lines run in the aircraft.
Any help would be appreciated.

Here's what I'm looking for:
A - 24v to Sight rheostat
B - Azimuth drive cable
C- Azimuth motor
D - Upper Relay Box
chin_turret_questions.png

The problem I've been finding with B-17 warbirds, and this is probably typical across aircrafts, is the equipment is incomplete/inaccurate.
For example, I went up in Nine-O-Nine early this year and there's nothing connected to the chin turret gun sight or the bracket.

n-6_gunsight nine-o-nine.png

I've been working on this slowly for two years now so I'm not in a hurry.

Greetings,

I'm working on a 3D model for a B-17G chin turret but I'm having trouble locating where some cables run.
I have some electrical schematics but they don't exactly tell you where the lines run in the aircraft.
Any help would be appreciated.

Here's what I'm looking for:
A - 24v to Sight rheostat
B - Azimuth drive cable
C- Azimuth motor
D - Upper Relay Box
View attachment 519363

A - 24v to Sight rheostat to connector on bomb-sight
B - Azimuth drive cable to connector on bomb-sight
C- Azimuth motor to connector on bomb-sight
D - Upper Relay Box to bomb sight and 24-V-DC power from airplane

I can't offer much more, except a overall view of the bombarier's station, and a Boeing installation drawing of the equipment. Notice that in the drawing, the cable with the black arrow is the azimuth drive cable, but it seems to be connected to the body of the sight itself. Doesn't make sense to me. The cable with the red arrow I'm assuming is the 24v rheostat power supply. It doesn't show where it originates from. This is a tough one.
download.png
download (1).jpg

I have the Pilots Manual for the Flying Fortress from 1943 if you are interested. Lots of interesting diagrams in that if you don't have it. Also the Osprey Aviation Production Line to Frontline #2 on the Fortress also has good period pictures that might be of help. Let me know if you want to borrow the books.

Chris

A - 24v to Sight rheostat to connector on bomb-sight
B - Azimuth drive cable to connector on bomb-sight
C- Azimuth motor to connector on bomb-sight
D - Upper Relay Box to bomb sight and 24-V-DC power from airplane

This is interesting. My current understanding is that not all B-17s had a bomb sight installed. Where the lead plane in each squadron had one, and the rest of the squadron just followed their lead and looked for the payload to be released. This would mean these connectors would go elsewhere.

I can't offer much more, except a overall view of the bombarier's station, and a Boeing installation drawing of the equipment. Notice that in the drawing, the cable with the black arrow is the azimuth drive cable, but it seems to be connected to the body of the sight itself. Doesn't make sense to me. The cable with the red arrow I'm assuming is the 24v rheostat power supply. It doesn't show where it originates from. This is a tough one.

Yeah it is. Thanks for giving it a go.

I have the Pilots Manual for the Flying Fortress from 1943 if you are interested. Lots of interesting diagrams in that if you don't have it. Also the Osprey Aviation Production Line to Frontline #2 on the Fortress also has good period pictures that might be of help. Let me know if you want to borrow the books.

Thank you. I do have a pilots manual for the B-17. I have an account on Air Corps Library as well, and some other manuals I've been collecting. This info I just haven't come across yet and if I couldn't see it in my model I wouldn't even consider adding it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back