B-24 Model Type

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hey guys,

I took another look at all of the notes I had received from the Air Force Historical Research Agency. There is a reference to my great uncles crew as both crew #47 (from the 456th Bomb Group Association website however the information shows the incorrect mission number) and crew #37 (in the August 1944 narrative).

The narrative states:

"...THE FIRST NIGHT MISSION OF THE FIFTEENTH AIR FORCE TOOK OFF SHORTLY AFTER 0315 HOURS. CREW #37 IN AIRCRAFT #487 OF THE 746TH BOMB SQUADRON HAD JUST LIFTED OFF THE RUNWAY HEADED NORTH WHEN IT CRASHED, EXPLODED AND BURNED. CAUSE UNKNOWN. THE COMBINATION OF DARKNESS AND THE EXPLOSION PREVENTED ANY ACCURATE RECONSTRUCTION OF THE ACCIDENT. THOSE KILLED WERE: LT. CURTIS WINN; LT. ROBERT A. SCHIERITZ; LT. CHARLES C. FISHER; LT. WALTER B. RAU; SGT. QUENTIN SMITH; SGT. NORMAN HICKMAN; CPLS. WILLIAM E. AMES, CHARLES COLLINS, JOHN PROCTOR AND ROBERT NAST."

Is is possible that the one typing the narrative read the wrong number and it was aircraft #437, #481, #489, or #439?

As far as the aircraft lost on the 10th of August 1944 the only information that I have states that the mission number was #88. The mission was to bomb the Campina/Steaua Romana Oil Ref., Romania.

The narrative states:

"ON WITHDRAWAL FROM THE COMPINA REFINERIES ON 10 AUGUST 1944, AND AS THEY NEARED THE YUGOSLAVIA, LT. SHOBER'S CREW, IN A/C #487, WERE SEEN TO FALL OUT OF FORMATION WITH AN ENGINE SMOKING AND AIRCRAFT HAS NOT BEEN HEARD OF SINCE. SIX MEN ABOARD HELD DISTINGUISHED FLYING CROSSES"

I believe that I have the full narrative for the month of August 1944 and have shared all of the relevant information I found. I am going to write the AFHRA and request the following

-Full monthly narrative for August 1944 (just in case)
-All possible documentation for the August 10th Mission #88
-Formation Plan for August 15th 1944 Mission #92
-"Form 34" for August 15th 1944 Mission #92
-Aircraft Load List for August 15th 1944 Mission #92
-Full Mission Folder for August 15th 1944 Mission #92

Please let me know if there is anything else I should ask for. Unfortunately there may be a few weeks wait to hear from the AFHRA.

Thanks,
Brian

The Form 34 and aircraft load lists (1 per aircraft) should be in the mission folder - ask for all documents on 15 aug mission.

44-40487 is definite for 10 Aug, see MACR page attached.

Another avenue to pursue is to request your relative's IDPF (Individual Deceased Personnel File). To make a Freedom of Information Act request, use this email.
[email protected]

State that it is an FOIA request and include:
Name
Rank
Serial Number
Unit
Date of Death

Expect a lengthly reply process.

As a relative, you may be able to bypass the FOIA process - there is some contact information at the bottom of this page that you could ask.
https://www.hrc.army.mil/staff/freedom of information and privacy act requests

MACR 7466 Page 2 resize.jpg

The Form 34 and aircraft load lists (1 per aircraft) should be in the mission folder - ask for all documents on 15 aug mission.

44-40487 is definite for 10 Aug, see MACR page attached.

Another avenue to pursue is to request your relative's IDPF (Individual Deceased Personnel File). To make a Freedom of Information Act request, use this email.
[email protected]

State that it is an FOIA request and include:
Name
Rank
Serial Number
Unit
Date of Death

Expect a lengthly reply process.

As a relative, you may be able to bypass the FOIA process - there is some contact information at the bottom of this page that you could ask.
https://www.hrc.army.mil/staff/freedom of information and privacy act requests

View attachment 257532

Is it still possible to access this information without my relatives serial number?

Is this not him?

AMERICAN BATTLE MONUMENTS COMMISSION

Walter B. Rau
Second Lieutenant, U.S. Army Air Forces
Service # O-771968
746th Bomber Squadron, 456th Bomber Group, Heavy
Entered the Service from: Illinois
Died: 15-Aug-44
Buried at: Plot E Row 13 Grave 5
Sicily-Rome American Cemetery
Nettuno, Italy
Awards: Purple Heart

http://www.abmc.gov

Last edited:
Is this not him?

AMERICAN BATTLE MONUMENTS COMMISSION

Walter B. Rau
Second Lieutenant, U.S. Army Air Forces
Service # O-771968
746th Bomber Squadron, 456th Bomber Group, Heavy
Entered the Service from: Illinois
Died: 15-Aug-44
Buried at: Plot E Row 13 Grave 5
Sicily-Rome American Cemetery
Nettuno, Italy
Awards: Purple Heart

http://www.abmc.gov

Yes, that is him. Thank you! I'm guessing it is pretty evident that I am new to this.

Hey guys,

I am resurrecting this old thread. I became busy with many other projects while I awaited a reply for my request for information. I never received a reply from the US Army regarding his IDPF. I am going to make another attempt, once again requesting the form 34, aircraft load lists from the mission folder, and all documents on the 15th of August mission. On a positive note I have established contact with Walter's son and was able to provide him with several letters written by Walter to my grandfather who was serving in the U.S. Navy as a Torpedoman.

I'm hoping I can find out a little more information with your guys help and finish this tribute project.

Thanks,
Brian

Emails sent 10-8-15

Last edited:
Brian, my name is Raymond Rau Jr. I guess I'm your cousin. I am Walters oldest Brother Ray's Grandson. I have been all over the internet tying to find any information I could find on how Walter died. Heard a lot of conflicting info from my Father growing up. This forum helped a lot. I have a picture of him with his whole family standing in their lawn. This site won't let me upload it though. Let me know if you want it, I'll get it to you some other way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back