Your timing is perfect. I am editing a paper for which I needed a number about accuracy.
It's interesting that none of the ETO reports seems to have "overall accuracy." For example, of all the bombs that took off from England, what percentage fell within .5 miles of the designated target? I
have seen such numbers in some interim reports from the 20th AF.
Such a total would include the effects of:
- Mission aborts by individual aircraft, and entire groups.
- Diversion to secondary targets due to bad weather or other factors.
- Bad weather when dropping (which has a huge effect in the data you provide)
- Enemy action before dropping.
As well as all the other problems they document for groups that
did get over the designated target, in decent weather.
It would also be interesting to use modern statistics to re-analyze some of this data. It's impressive how far these authors got with no knowledge of techniques like regression analysis.
Thanks again for your very timely post!