B17-G Revell/Monogram Kit Question

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Robert Porter

Senior Master Sergeant
See the area circled in the attached picture. On both kits I have their is a rectangular raised area here. It does not appear to be flash, but in looking at pictures of "G" models and others I can find no similar raised section of the real aircraft. I also noticed on most of the assembled models I have seen this bit of detail has been sanded or cut off.

What is or was this raised area for? Should I leave it or remove it?

b17pic.jpg

If you mean the windows there these are of the radio compartment glazed jettisonable.

View attachment 357553
Using your diagram as reference, on my kit there is a molded rectangular area on the fuselage between the windows marked 44 and 45. It does not show on the diagram you included, the fuselage skin there shows as flat which seems to be what it should be but the kits I have both have that raised "bump" which as I say appears to be molded into the parts. I just don't think it belongs there.

I see. Could you post abetter shot of the area of your model?

I think you meant a such thing like the one marked with the number 65 here. Am I right? If you did it is the retractable wind deflector used with earlier types of the B-17. Here is for the C version.

boeingb17c.jpg

Yep.. that's the wind deflector. Although your kit is for the G type of the bomber it might be used for other ones that could have the part attached there. It is quite common policy of making moulds by manufacturers. The best examample is MiG-21. In the past almost all kits offered as PF/ PFM/ MF were in fact the MiG-21Bis.

Yep.. that's the wind deflector. Although your kit is for the G type of the bomber it might be used for other ones that could have the part attached there. It is quite common policy of making moulds by manufacturers. The best examample is MiG-21. In the past almost all kits offered as PF/ PFM/ MF were in fact the MiG-21Bis.
Good to know, I am going to go ahead and cut/sand it flat. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

:) But please wait with the sanding. I have to check it in a couple of different references.

I checked on a couple of references for the kite. A couple of pics I saw can suggest it was there also with the F and G types. It can be seen below in the images I found via the net. It seems that it depended on the crews if they decided to remove or not the the dorsal .50 caliber machine gun. In the case the spoiler could have been dismounted as well. Also while being retracted it might have been unseen. Anyway you should sand it down because it is of incorrect shape though. The diagram I had posted above can be incorrect or just skipping the detail.

B-17deflector.jpg

B-17deflector_b.jpg

B-17G_a.jpg

B-17G_b.jpg

B-17G_c.jpg

Last edited:
Speaking of this kit, both of the kits I bought came with the Shepard Paine Diorama inserts. I had heard they were hard to find and some folks collect them. I would be happy to mail anyone (first one) that asks one of my copies. I did notice that PDF versions are now available on Revell's site here: Revell Dioramas along with some of the others they used to produce.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back