Ball Turret Position Indicator - Location?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I've just obtained a Ball Turret Position Indicator (Sperti PN 11585), which I understand was used in versions of the B-24 that had ball turrets (and perhaps other a/c such as B-17s), see below, to display with my K-4 Gun Sight. I'm trying to determine if this indicator was installed in the turret itself (unlikely, as it seems the gunner would likely know which way he is pointed by other visual cues) or in the fuselage, and if the latter, where? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.
Turret Position Indicator.jpg

I know that a position indicator was fitted in the British FN.82 turret, on the right side of the gunner. I have no idea why he could not ascertain the turrets position simply be looking out.
It was calibrated with 0 degrees at 12 o'clock (facing directly astern) and to 90 degrees either side.
Cheers
Steve

Damn - just remembered Sperry ball turret manual? where Hunterbunter posted part of the Navy training manual covering turrets
Go to page T115 and look at the bottom right photo

The rest of the manual is on the forum somewhere and it covers all the other common turrets of the day as used by the USN and Fubar provided another link.

Mi

Last edited:
Many thanks to all. I too confirmed that it was installed within the ball turret at the gunner's right foot.
From exchanges with others, I've learned that the gunner could not always see the aircraft to discern the position of the turret, hence the need for the indicator. So if he received an interphone communication of "bandit at 11 o'clock", he could simply reference the indicator and turn the turret accordingly. However, it seems to me that it would have been more intuitive had the turret symbol on the indicator remained stationary and the aircraft silhouette always pointing (i.e., rotating) in the direction of the aircraft.

It certainly is an honor to possess such a unique instrument, until it is passed along to the next generation!

I've just obtained a Ball Turret Position Indicator (Sperti PN 11585), which I understand was used in versions of the B-24 that had ball turrets (and perhaps other a/c such as B-17s), see below, to display with my K-4 Gun Sight. I'm trying to determine if this indicator was installed in the turret itself (unlikely, as it seems the gunner would likely know which way he is pointed by other visual cues) or in the fuselage, and if the latter, where? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.View attachment 359546
There

There was no such indicator on the b24d. I was a belly Turret gunner on a Navy PB4y1, which was a B24D modified by the Navy.
Never felt the need for an indicator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back