Battle of the Atlantic U.S. Navy Anti-Submarine Warfare Schemes 1 and 2 Double Check

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

WildDuckSF1984

Recruit
Aug 4, 2020
Hi all,

I'm about to begin building a TBF-1C and then a FM-1 Wildcat and plan on using Battle of the Atlantic camo on both planes. Before I begin putting glue to plastic, I would like to confirm/double check that I have the correct information (ANA numbers, FS numbers, paint names) regarding the Navy's ASW 1 and 2 schemes.

For the sake of ease, I'm fairly certain I'll be painting both planes according to ASW Scheme 2, but would be nice to have the correct info for ASW Scheme 1 for future reference.

USN ASW Scheme 1: Dark Gull Grey (ANA 621/FS 36231) upper surfaces, Light Gull Grey (ANA 620/FS 36440) along the fuselage sides, and a glossy Insignia White (ANA 601/FS 37875) for the belly and undersides. I also read somewhere that a matte/dull/Non-Specular ANA 601 was also to be applied to areas such as those in the shadows of the horizontal stabilizers and the wings, the interior of the engine cowling, and the prop domes.

USN ASW Scheme 2: Dark Gull Grey (ANA 621/FS 36231) upper surfaces, Insignia White (ANA 601/FS 37875) (I'm presuming in a matte/dulled form) everywhere else.

If everything I have is correct, please let me know. If something isn't quite right, please, let me know the correct info.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Hi WildDuck,

Sounds pretty close. The schemes' designers were worried about sun glint off Glossy Insignia White and increased shadow on undersides with N/S Insignia White. So glossy was used anywhere that would not usually receive direct sunlight and N/S would be used wherever direct sunlight was expected. I'm attaching copies of the original drawings...

Cheers,

Dana
ASW schemes - B-24.jpg
ASW schemes - general 2.jpg
ASW schemes - general.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back