Best Battle of Britain Aircraft

Best Battle of Britain aircraft?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The Hurri gets my vote...it was tough, and the tighter grouping of guns in the wing allowed it to hit harder than the Spit with the same armament. And it wasnt bad looking either...

i haven't actually voted yet but i'm assuming the hurricane's wining?? and yes i know i can check without voted, i just can't be bothered.........

Supermarine Spitfire
48% [ 188 ]
Hawker Hurricane
16% [ 65 ]
Bolton-Paul Defiant
1% [ 4 ]
Bristol Beaufighter
1% [ 5 ]
Messerschmitt Bf-109
19% [ 74 ]
Messerschmitt Me-110
3% [ 15 ]
Heinkel He-111
2% [ 11 ]
Dornier Do-17
0% [ 3 ]
Junkers Ju-87 Stuka
2% [ 11 ]
Junkers Ju-88
2% [ 11 ]

Total Votes : 387

Fraid not lanc Even the Emil is beating it

BountyHunter15 said:
I think the spitfire was the best British fighter. It had excellent fire power and manuverability.

The Spit Is 8 mgs were spread along the wing, whereas the Hurris were grouped tightly, making the Hurri the more destructive weapon. There were some cannon armed Spits (IB's) trialled around the BoB, but the early marks of Hispano cannon were highly prone to jamming and unpopular with pilots.

While the Spit was more maneuverable than the Hurri, the Hurri was no slouch, and in any case, the 109 had the better of both because it's direct-injection engine allowed it to pull negative-g maneuvers which caused the carb-fed Merlin to cut out.

Yes but the problem was that the 109 pilots knew that so they got up-sun, dived on the Spits and Hurricanes and kept on diving, confident in the fact that the lack of fuel injection meant that they would be well away before the planes they were firing at could follow

...to which the 109 responded by inverting, opening the throttle and ramming the stick foward. The Merlin would cut out if an RAF fighter tried to follow. Not much use at low alts, I admit, but then a lot of the dogfighting during the BoB was pretty high up

The Spitfire had a turning advantage and the Bf-109 had a climb and dive advantage or was it the other way around. Anyway, I like the Spitfire and as proof of how good it was it stayed in service until the 1960s-1970s sometimes up until the 1980s. The Bf-109 airframe was approaching its limits at the end of WW2. Bf-110s were large vulnerable aircraft that were difficult to successfully use as fighters as they lacked manevorability.

Users who are viewing this thread