Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ju-88

• He 177

• Other

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
The B-24 wasn't as tough as the B-17 but was probably tougher than the Lanc. The B-24 was a great airplane (better than the B-17 in many respects) but never received the press it deserved (maybe because it didn't have the looks of the B-17).

The B-24 was certainly superior to the B-17. It could carry more, further. The B-29 was the best...

The B-24, B-17 argument had been going on ever since the war. The B-24 had range, bombload, and (apparently) speed. The B-17 had more firepower, more durability, more altitude, more stability (easier to fly, more accurate gunnery and bombing platform). I personally would go with the B-24, but both sides can be argued fairly convincingly.

just what i was going to say german mine was lanc vs b24 b24 won

We all agree that to not agree makes for great debate. What we can agree on is that each of these aircraft had it's place in the great air war. now I will say that the B-24 might not have the looks that the B-17 did, but it did look better then the Lancaster. But we are not talking about the other 4 engine bomber, the unsung Halifax. I would think that some one other then me would have thought of it? The Halifax is third on the list before the B-17 I think.

As for the B-17 being the "Work Horse" well look at the bomb totals droped and missions for the B-24.

We aren't talking about the Halifax because it was almost completely phased out by the Lanc as a bomber and that's what this thread it about.

It was useful as a tug (so was the Sterling) and perhaps more useful as a Coastal Command patrol plane but none of those are BOMBER roles.

Luca, a ball gunner great!!! But you know as a ball gunner you better be the smallest in the crew and it is a lonly spot but my pick close to the action. Also pilot, both on B-24. Nice to have you on board.

Not to mention next to impossible to get out of if you had to bail out. I've always wanted to be in the nose as a bombardier.

I know a gentleman who was a top turret gunner/engineer on a B-24 in the PTO. He had one Zero shot down and a total of 52 combat missions flown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread