Best Development

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

herman1rg

Tech Sergeant
Dec 3, 2008
I've been pondering the development of Aviation and it's related technologies and I think that various Countries around the world have each made their own unique contribution to the area. I offer a couple as the start of a list, please feel free to comment, argue, add your own thoughts.

1. United States of America, Orville and Wilbur Wright; inventing and building the world's first successful airplane and making the first controlled, powered and sustained heavier-than-air human flight, on December 17, 1903.

2. United Kingdom, Robert Watson Watt; Radar On February 26, 1935, a Handley Page Heyford bomber flew along a path between the receiving station and the transmitting towers of a BBC shortwave station in nearby Daventry. The aircraft reflected the 6 MHz (49 m) BBC signal, and this was readily detected by Arnold "Skip" Wilkins using Doppler-beat interference at ranges up to 8 mi.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorenz_beam
The Lorenz beam was blind-landing radio navigation system developed by C. Lorenz AG in Berlin. The first system had been installed in 1932 at Berlin-Tempelhof Central Airport, followed by Dübendorf in Switzerland (1934) and others all over the world.[1] The Lorenz company referred to it simply as the Ultrakurzwellen-Landefunkfeuer, German for "ultra-short-wave landing radio beacon", or LFF. Prior to the World War II the Germans had deployed the landing aid system at many Luftwaffe airfields in and outside Germany and equipped most of their bombers with the radio equipment needed to use it. The RAF continued using the system as late as 1955, under the name Standard Beam Approach (SBA)

The long range version developed by the Germans during the war was used by many countries for civilian purposes after the war, mostly under its English name Consol. Transmitters were installed in the US, the UK and the USSR.

Germany, Britain et al: The jet engine; before the advent of the jet, the fastest any aircraft could go without diving was about 500 mph; once powerful enough jet engines were designed (in concert with other developments, such as swept wings), aircraft could go much faster and cruise at far higher altitudes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back