Best fighter in Eastern Front, 1943.

What was the best fighter in East Front in 1943? Please give reason!

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Guys

where is all this aggro coming from. Different opinions are fine. We are just discussing the strengths and weakness of various aircraft, not refighting the eastern fropt allover again.

Mods are watching. I can tell you if this sort of abusive posting continues the likley outcome is

1) the thread will be closed

2) one or more people will get banned

3) People reading these acidic posts are going to think we are all idiots

Just some friendly advice for everyone

German BMW 801D-2 engine had output of 1800 HP (continental horse power - PS) after 1,42 ata clearance. This is for ground level output, static output.. 1730 etc PS listed - dynamic output. So BMW was very powerful engine in 1943. Expert says this clearing occured late 1942. Probably more in 1944 - 2000-2100 PS with injection.

Hello, what do you call static and dynamic power?

It seems there were power restriction on BMW 801 D's introduced later.
BMW810D_restrictions.gif

No?

Also to consider - response of engine to throttle. Direct injection engine had good throttle response, so power available quicker. Its only real power that accelerates.
Where is it taken from? The Shvetsov M62 (or Wright Cyclone), accelerates instantaneously, even faster than the M-82FN or T. N for Neposredstvenny (direct injection). It depends of a lot of factors, comprising engines inertia moments and carburettor technology. At least i never observed it neither on cars nor on motorcycles, not even on BMWs transforemed for aviation use (ultralights).

Take off on other hand is not very good measure of accelerate - it is effected, but, there is also other factor. Like flap etc.
And of course grass resistance (wet or dry, grass height...) , propeller path and twist, angle during runs etc....

Regards

Takeoff time or length of runway needed are not good measures of acceleration at all.
Most single engined high performance planes and many twins will swerve due to torque if the throttle is firewalled, a gradual increase in speed with varying degrees of rudder correction are needed before going to full throttle or the plane ends up in the rough.

Also to consider - response of engine to throttle. Direct injection engine had good throttle response, so power available quicker. Its only real power that accelerates. Take off on other hand is not very good measure of accelerate - it is effected, but, there is also other factor. Like flap etc.

Nothing new?

Well from soviet tests*:

Time to reach 0.95Vmax from 0.7Vmax at 1000 m height horizontal , in minutes.

1)Yak-9 with M-105PF-2: 0.88
2)Yak-9 with M-107A: 0.45
3)Me-109 G-2: 0.7
4)FW-190 1.12:(

Speed increase from 0.7Vmax for 1 minute after putting on full gaz manifold, in Km/h

1) 144
2) 175
3) 150
4) 128:rolleyes:

Time to decrease speed from 0.9Vmax to 07Vmax, in minutes

1) 0.35
2) 0.37
3) 0.48
4) 0.52

So?

- It's unsurprising that the FW-190 has the bigger inertia due to it's weight, and the poorest acceleration due to low power to weight ratio (hp/kg).

-Between all reasons that can lead to delay in acceleration the response to throttle exists, but at the last places by order of importance.
The poorest engine respunse belongs to the klimov 107 A but it plays at 2-3 secund difference.
The main factor is the power to weight ratio. I have already furnished the acceleration F=m "gamma" formula. So "gamma" is high when F (thrust (~ power) is high, and m low.

I swear that the best Fiat Panda with a 45 hp FIRE (Fully Integrated Robotized Engine) even controlled with a Cray-One computer 1000 cc will never reach a 300 hp Ferrari acceleration, even with a single (big) carburettor taken from mower.

Unfortunately i don't have the mesured La-5 FN acceleration.

But we can make rough estimation; suppose both FW and La-5 are cruising on 300 km/h. Now they see each other, in order to fight they need to reach 600 km/h.
To simplify they have the same Cd.
You need to increase power by 2^3 and thrust by2²!
It will make you the classical differential equation formula: 1 -exp (t) etc...So the La-5 will be 1.23 faster in speed acceleration and make more than some about minute difference, even if pilot is loosing some secunds more to adjust pressure, throttle and gaz...

* Yak fighters
Stepanets

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back