Best Pacific Fighter?

Best Pacific Fighter?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's Glacier Girl! They pulled it out of a glacier in the late '90s in Greenland. It was on a ferry mission to England with 4 other P-38s and two B-17s and they had difficulty and ditched in Greenland. Some rich lads went up there on loads of excursions to find them, they found a B-17 crushed and they gave up but then went back after being told the P-38 being smaller would withstand the extreme pressures of being buried. And it did, and there it is...flight worthy!

Here she is in the ice, being recovered.

Attachments

• glaciergirlice_196.jpg
    glaciergirlice_196.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 883
You can read all about the recovery and restoration on their website. It is really kind of interesting. The B-17 was really tempting, and so is another P-38 I think they could go get. ;)

Hey, if it would cost 10 mil. to restore a that P-38 that was found on the island, how much would it cost for one of the B-17's that crashed there (still repairable, of course) to restore her? :?:

Ive been to see Glacier Girl a couple times, its currently in Middlesboro Ky which is about an hour or so from me. They have a pretty nice hangar setup with a movie plus tons of memorabilia. One of my favorite things was the giant water heated plumb bob used to melt through the ice down to the aircraft. They also have most of the original aircraft parts available on display. Pretty fun trip, plus I think its mandatory that everyone eats at KFC after coming through the Cumberland Gap tunnel!

I doubt it's possible. I saw the first B-17 they found, it was completely crushed.

elmilitaro said:
Hey, if it would cost 10 mil. to restore a that P-38 that was found on the island, how much would it cost for one of the B-17's that crashed there (still repairable, of course) to restore her? :?:

BIG BUCKS

I can't dream - it's forbidden in my...religion?

It was kinda funny, my mouse locked up mid-scroll and all I could see was P-40! I almost crapped, puked, screamed and had a heart attack all at the same time, then I realised......
You almost killed me, you b*stard!, that wasn't funny at all!!
:shock: :oops: :rolleyes: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back