Best Russian Fighter

What was the best Russian fighter of WW2?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

actually whilst technically the Bf-109 outclasses the I-16, the I-16 gave the german pilots such a shock as it was so much better than they expected that they were orderd not to fight them :lol:.......................

Yep, I find that hilarious :lol:

On IL2 FB the I-16 Type 24 is an amazing plane, I was just flying it, took out 2 Me-210's, Fw-190D9 (On Ace level!), 2 Bf-109F's and a Macchi MC.202 (On veteran level)!
I then went to land but because I forgot you had to manually lower the gear, I crashed :lol:

cheddar cheese said:
It was the first fighter with a retractable undercarriage, and just because it wasnt match for the 109's it doesnt mean it wasnt the worlds first modern fighter. The only reason It had little battle success is because there were no wars for it to fight in at the time, had it been actually fighting in 1934 it would have been far superior.

lanc statement IS correct, he never said it was the best.

No argument there.

BTW: the landing gear was hand cranked.

=S=

Lunatic

the lancaster kicks ass said:
BTW: the landing gear was hand cranked.

did he say it wasn't?? if anything he said it was.............

I just pointed it out because hand cranking was a significant and lengthy task. I don't think he mentioned it was hand cranked.

cheddar cheese said:

On IL2 FB the I-16 Type 24 is an amazing plane, I was just flying it, took out 2 Me-210's, Fw-190D9 (On Ace level!), 2 Bf-109F's and a Macchi MC.202 (On veteran level)!
I then went to land but because I forgot you had to manually lower the gear, I crashed :lol:

Last sentence 8)

cheddar cheese said:
cheddar cheese said:

Last sentence 8)

My bad.

I've always been a fan of the Polikarpov 1-16, made a model of one when I was younger, and although not the 'Best', after having seen them flying down here along with the 1-15 bis, the La-9 and Yak-9UM, much prefer them for their uniqueness....If I voted the 'Best', I'd probably go for the La-9.....However, I vote the 1-16, apparently they had a great rate of climb and are a delight to watch flying....
The Warbird Movement down here has been instrumental in restoring alot of Russian fighters, starting with 1-16's and 1-15's, and it's quite surprising how formidable they all were, reading some of the History...

Attachments

• raf_487__nz__sqn._chalks-up_another___hard_day_s_night__..._157.jpg
    raf_487__nz__sqn._chalks-up_another___hard_day_s_night__..._157.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 1,032

Users who are viewing this thread

Back