Best WWII automatic weapon

Best WWII Automatic weapon

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Shotguns are used by all branches of the US Army for close quarter combat such as what is going on in Iraq.

When we did Air Assaults there was allways a squad member on our aircraft who had a shot gun.

thats what i mean the only people that are going to follow them are honest countries and there arn't too many of them around. There will be no incentive to follow 'cause everyone else will have one but you......

If you read about Edson's Ridge (aka Raider Ridge) on the Canal, you will see
that those Gyrenes were using 50 cals with water jacketsto defend their pos
and the airfield behind...In the daylight in front of the pos the Japs were in
piles...

Two last things....Has anybody ever noticed they always give the BAR to the
feather-merchant? And did you know that according to the Geneva
Convention it is unlawful (read a BIG NO NO) to use the M2 or any other
HMG against troops?

of couse our guys loved being taken under fire by German 20mm flak..

Agreed Adler. All this lets ban Mines tripe makes me laugh I can just imagine Iran the Taliban ect ect saying lets not produce mines as its a bit naughty. If a IED is not a type of mine whether remote or trip operated then my pricks a bloater.

Basically the only countries that abide by the rules are NATO countries and a few other ones.

In the WWI airwar, wasn't it considered bad show to fire machineguns with incendiary bullets, designed for taking down ballons by bursting them into flames, into enemy aircraft with pilots? I think there was even a rule saying, that if all your gun had was incendiary bullets, you couldn't fire back at an enemy plane, even if he was attacking you. I guess it was because it was even more painful to have a bullet burning your insides as an added cruelty.

In WWII, didn't they stop following this rule? As I understand, a lot of WWII planes used incendiary bullets?

Edit: I found the bullet I was thinking of was the Pomeroy Bullet. They didn't use them in WWII. It sounded like the Browning .50 caliber could use incendiary bullets, and the British Browning .30 caliber, and didn't the German MG 131 use them too?

Well, since it was WWII, something had to get worse, and the planes were also tougher to shoot down.

The Pomeroy Bullet
Updated - Saturday, 9 August, 2003

The Pomeroy Bullet was an explosive machine gun bullet deployed specifically for use against the Zeppelin threat over Britain. The incendiary bullet, developed by New Zealand engineer John Pomeroy (1873-1950) in 1902, was quickly adopted by British defence services as a means of combating the growing German Zeppelin threat in the skies above Britain.

Filled with nitro-glycerine the bullet ignited the hydrogen gas which escaped from the tear in the Zeppelin gas bag created by the bullet's passage. The bullet's effectiveness led to a marked decrease in the number of Zeppelin attacks.

In time Pomeroy was paid some £25,000 in royalties for his invention

First World War.com - Encyclopedia - The Pomeroy Bullet

Nope because the only people that will follow them are the Western Allies.

:lol:

Kinda like today with the ballistic tip bullets in the MiddleEast. Some claim that they are "expanding bullets" when in actuality they are only plastic tipped bullets made so for accuracy and whose performance is not expansion, but rather they fragment because they are fragile match bullets.

War is not politically correct. Even the Germans complained about shotguns in WWI as being inhumane. The US uses them to this day while abiding by the Geneva convention that no terrorist will ever hold dear.

Gun laws are only obeyed by civilized people. And I question why we continue to fight a civilized war with these savages.

:lol:

Kinda like today with the ballistic tip bullets in the MiddleEast. Some claim that they are "expanding bullets" when in actuality they are only plastic tipped bullets made so for accuracy and whose performance is not expansion, but rather they fragment because they are fragile match bullets.

War is not politically correct. Even the Germans complained about shotguns in WWI as being inhumane. The US uses them to this day while abiding by the Geneva convention that no terrorist will ever hold dear.

Gun laws are only obeyed by civilized people. And I question why we continue to fight a civilized war with these savages.

A Very Very valid point and one that i think is sadly true....

All of those niceties that made the Thompson such a work of art were scrapped because of expediency, too expensive or no military utility.

- Cutts compensator
- 50rd drum mag
- Cooling fins
- Adjustable sights

Too bad you can't buy a semi-auto version to plink around with that doesn't have the short barrel on it. You can, but here in the US you have to have a Class III license and the 16" barrel is a visual monstrosity.

Attachments

• m1a1thom.jpg
    m1a1thom.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 85
  • m1a1.jpg
    m1a1.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 82
Yeah it is a shame. Do they limit class III licences?

They are not near as easy to obtain as they were before Clinto took office. The background check is no different but the 'justification' is much tougher.

I didn't like the constant 'visits' and inspections of my books, either.

FFL tougher also. I had one simply because I like to 'build' rifles and custom stock shotguns/rifles as a hobby - but forced out because my place of business then had to be open to public (my home in this case)

Crap. Sorry drgondog. I must vote better.

Matt - I still 'do' the custom thing but only for myself - I don't really know how you can make a living at it today - very very few people are still alive that can fully inlet a sidelock shot gun, much less start with a buttstock blank and do it from scratch..and do it in 8-16 hours.. it takes me 30-40 hours to do a 22-24 lpi wrap around point pattern on forearm and butt.

That's why Purdey can get $4500-6000 for just a buttstock replacement..

Takes a lot of skill to do it fast on either but checkering is a lot easier.

It took a lot of sell outs to get 1995 GCA passed but hold on to your cheeks for 2009!

Regards,

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back