Bf 109K VNE

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Trilisser

Airman 1st Class
May 22, 2011
I recall reading it somewhere that the Bf 109K had a raised VNE of 850 km/h IAS (vs. 750 km/h of the 109G). Can anyone confirm this?

I recall reading it somewhere that the Bf 109K had a raised VNE of 850 km/h IAS (vs. 750 km/h of the 109G). Can anyone confirm this?

One of the reasons for the raised VNE was that the vertical tail with horn rudder balance was replaced with a taller tail that replaced the horn rudder balance with a rudder balance tab. It was rudder over balancing that caused much of the limitation.

Late model Me 109G14 and G10 also had the tall tail. Slight variations in tabs on the rudders as they were modified by different factories such as WNF or ERLA..

I think their may be some documentation around regarding dive tests conducted on a Me 109G with the new rudder. Maybe on Kurfurst.org . I read one read of an account of a P51D pilot saying a Me 109 regained control earlier than his P51D. (The D bubble canopy effected airflow in a dive).

Last edited:
The handbook confirms it.

In fact, according to TAGTT 151/152, any Bf 109 G could increase VNE to 850 km/h at 1km and 800 km/h at 3 km if it had the following requisites:
1) Enlarged tail fin & rudder
2) Horizontal stabilizer trim range reduced from +2º to +1º 10'
3) Elevator fitted with enlarged tabs (350 mm)
4) Reinforced ailerons (bearing pins with a diameter of 8 mm)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back