Biplane Fighters (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

sadly though the events of may 17th wasn't the only time mistakes were made early on or baisically entire squadrons were wiped out in one go........

I know. I'm reading about the sad stories at the moment. Some, looking back, are rather comical though. Like a Whitley (If I remember correctly) landing in Germany, and thinking they were in France began talking to the locals. The German army quickly learned of their presence and the RAF crew, luckily, discovered the situation was hostile and got back in the plane and took off in a hail of rifle fire. With the tank almost empty, they ran on the fumes to land safely in Belgium.

plan_D said:
DW, have you got any information on the Italian interceptions of RAF bombers in 1940? I understand that as soon as Italy declared war in June, Bomber Command began sending bombers over the Alps. How did they fare in Italian skies?

I've only two episodes.

In August 1940 Capitano Giorgio Graffer was commanding officer of 365a Squadriglia, 150o Gruppo, 53 Stormo C.T. This unit was at the time equipped with Fiat CR.42s and based at Torino Caselle, near the French border.

On the night of 13/14 August he attacked a bomber while flying a Fiat CR.42 devoid of radio and any nightfighter equipment. After having unsuccessfully attacked the bomber with his guns he deliberately rammed it with his fighter. Graffer jumped to safety with his parachute. This was Whitley Mk.V P4965 ZA-H of 10 Squadron, which had taken off from Abingdon to bomb the Fiat Aero Engine works at Torino. Badly shot up by a fighter attack over the target, which left one engine out of action and severe damage to the starboard aileron. Pilot Officer Parson succeeded in flying the crippled bomber across France but while trying to land on the beach near Dymchurch Redoubt on the Kent coast, the weakened aileron broke off and the Whitley plunged into the sea. Three of the crew managed to escape, but the two pilots died and their bodies were eventually washed onto the French coast. They are buried in Boulogne's Eastern Cemetery in the Pas-de-Calais. The crew consisted of pilot Pilot Officer Ernest Ian Parsons DFC (RAF No. 43370) (KIA), co-pilot Sergeant A. N. Champion (KIA), observer Sergeant Chamberlain (RTD), wireless operator Sergeant Marshall (RTD) and air gunner Sergeant Sharpe (RTD).
This was the first night interception by a Regia Aeronautica pilot.

In June 1940 Sottotenente Furio Lauri served in the 368a Squadriglia of the 151o Gruppo. This unit was based at Casabianca, Italy, and equipped with Fiat CR.42s.

During the night between 25 and 26 August Tenente Giuseppe Zuffi took off from Bresso and intercepted a British bomber that escaped in the dark after receiving 100 rounds of 12,7 mm. Sottotenente Lauri of the same Squadriglia took off from Cameri (in Piedmont) and attacked another enemy bomber. After the first burst of fire (46 rounds of 12,7 mm and 106 rounds 7,7 mm) he saw under him a big fire on the ground and thought he had shot down the intruder, claiming it when back at base.
Subsequently was discovered that the fire seen by Lauri was caused by the incendiary bombs that the British raider jettisoned when attacked while Zuffi had caused some damage to his opponent's bomb bay. In fact, on the ground at Taliedo airport (attacked by the night raiders) many British bomb were discovered with the fins pierced with 12,7 mm holes; one of them still with a 12,7 mm SAFAT round trapped on it.

Surely there were many others I don't know, but the major part of the fighters in northern Italy didn't saw action at all during the first monts of the war, while the clashes over North Africa and East Africa were fiercer from the beginning.

DogW

I am trying to do some research on the Italian units that fought in the BoB. Does anyone know how successful they were? I dont think they were very but I am not sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back