Black crosses on US WWII aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

paramount32

Recruit
Oct 11, 2007
I recently saw a group of 4 WWII era planes flying in formation. I am not certain which aircraft they were, something similar to a P-51 or a Corsair but again I am not sure...one of the planes a US markings and the other three had black crosses that looked like "plus" signs. What are those markings? Are they club markings or a special squadron?

They could be also the Japanese ones if the crosses were green but not black.Are you sure of the colour of these crosses?

Pre WWII US Navy aircraft sometimes are depicted with red crosses, similar to the black part of german crosses. A picture of the machines would be helpful to verify their kind of making.

David and Adler probably nailed it.

"Something similar to a P-51 or a Corsair"

What do you think? P-51 may have been Buchon's? However, nothing was similar to a Corsair! :)

During war games, the Air Corps would use a color cross to id what side the planes were on. Pictures would help.

DBII

The well known photograph of F4F-3A Wildcats of VMF111 US Marines with Orange Force's cross markings for the 1941 South Carlolina War Games.

Attachments

• scan0039.jpg
    scan0039.jpg
    364.1 KB · Views: 269

Users who are viewing this thread

Back