Bombing altitude of RAF and 8tth Air Force

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I believe it was between 12000- 18000 feet some aircraft when fully loaded worked pretty hard to get to 12000 but remember the bomb load was nearly always twice as big or larger then the 17 or 24. I stand to be corrected on this

I believe it was between 12000- 18000 feet some aircraft when fully loaded worked pretty hard to get to 12000 but remember the bomb load was nearly always twice as big or larger then the 17 or 24. I stand to be corrected on this

Pb - you are not likely to be corrected - lol. The avearge Berlin length mission was 4500 pounds, IIRC the Posnan length missions were 4000. Hannover closer to 5K average.

I know that the usual briefed bombing altitude for B17s and B24s was 25000 feet. What was the similar figures for RAF Lancs and Halifaxes

B-24s far more frequently were staggered in the 20-22k range..faster going in with a load and left behind by B-17s on the way back

Bombloads;
The C-in-C of Bomber Command Arthur Harris wrote in his book "Bomber Offensive" that the Lancasters could carry twice more bombloads than the Haifaxes and the Stirlings when going for a long range targets such as Berlin and he even wrote the latter two were quite useless for that.

I think the mentioning is fairly exaggerated but I would like to know how they really were. I have a Lancaster POH but the other two's.

Most lancs bombed between 18,000 and 22,000 feet.

Stirlings and Halibag crews were in the main liked by Lanc crews because they flew lower and therefore attracted more of the flak / fighters etc.

Halibag crews stood a greater chance of getting out than lanc crews though due to aircraft design.

How would the Merlin powered Halifax variants' operating altitude compare.
Or the Lancaster Mk.II. (I assume would operate at lower altitude)

Then there was the Halifax Mk.VI with Hercules 100 engines, with much better performance. (particularly at altitude)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back