Brian Horrocks.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

starling

Airman 1st Class
May 8, 2008
bomber command hq.
Hey guys,Do you guys believe that ltg Brian Horrocks was the pre eminent Armd General that great Britain produced during ww2.?And would that iyo ,put him on the list as one of the " best" generals that any country of ww2 produced.Cheers,Starling.

I've never seen him considered as anything other than one of the most competent officers who served during WWII.
Even Eisenhower rated him highly.
Steve

Brian Horrocks commanded British XXX Corps which was the British main effort during Operation Market-Garden. The Corps failed to achieve it's objectives in a timely fashion therefore the entire operation failed.

I don't know if anyone else could have done better but that must have been a black mark on his command record.

Hi guys,I don't want another argument here,but do you not think it was the Airbourne Corps that did not take its objectives,rather than xxx corps not taking theirs,Starling.

If Operation Garden (i.e. XXX Corps advance) failed the airborne landings were doomed. That's why the German schwerpunkt consisted of slowing British XX Corps.

Hey guys,thankyou dave for your insightful post,you learn all the time.im happy at least Eisenhower thought highly of gen.horrocks,it may harp back to the Tunisia campaign ,Starling.

Last edited:
Er.. Airborne did take, and hold, their objectives. There were a lot of '**** ups', but it was done. To analyse the 'failure' of the 'top end' of Market Garden would take a very long time, and is still hotly debated today. There were a number of reasons, but the bottom line was that XXX Corps did not reach the Arnhem bridge in time to secure the bridgehead.
But this is going off topic, so I'll leave it there.

Er.. Airborne did take, and hold, their objectives. There were a lot of '**** ups', but it was done. To analyse the 'failure' of the 'top end' of Market Garden would take a very long time, and is still hotly debated today. There were a number of reasons, but the bottom line was that XXX Corps did not reach the Arnhem bridge in time to secure the bridgehead.
But this is going off topic, so I'll leave it there.
good show Terry, was slightly miffed when i read that post !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back