BRISTOL Aero-Engine TurboCharger Experimental Research...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

xylstra

Airman 1st Class
Jul 9, 2014
I have seen many references to BRISTOL AeroEngine experimental research into turbochargers but I have yet to find any comprehensive detail. Does anyone have any useful web-links to information on these experiments by BRISTOL? Thanks.

Hey xylstra,

These are the relevant pages from the "The Supercharging of Aircraft and Motor-Vehicle Engines" from 1927 by A.H.R. Fedden. Not a lot of info, but maybe a starting point.

Attachments

• SC Aircraft:Auto Engines 1927.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Hey xylstra,

These are the relevant pages from the "The Supercharging of Aircraft and Motor-Vehicle Engines" from 1927 by A.H.R. Fedden. Not a lot of info, but maybe a starting point.
You're the man! Spot on. Gives all the relevant detail. ROLLS ROYCE also played around turbocharging the Condor engine so it seems England wasn't entirely a backwater when it came to turbocharger research. Bit of a mystery though why the RAE didn't co-opt Whittle into modern turbo research and development.

You're the man! Spot on. Gives all the relevant detail. ROLLS ROYCE also played around turbocharging the Condor engine so it seems England wasn't entirely a backwater when it came to turbocharger research. Bit of a mystery though why the RAE didn't co-opt Whittle into modern turbo research and development.
When asked for a high altitude engine for the Wellington RR considered using a turbo but decided against it, at least in part, because it would be difficult/ impossible to fit in a single engined plane like the Spitfire.

Certainly were not. Take a look at their racing cars. I.g. the bentley 4 1/2 l blower.

You are confusing supercharger and turbo supercharger (i.e. exhaust driven supercharger).

The 4 1/2 l. Bentley racing car had a Roots blower, the worst type of mechanical-driven supercharger !

Just before the war, the leaders in turbocharging were French (Rateau), Swiss (Brown-Boveri), and US (GE). Not english.

But... Is the turbo the panacea? Strangely, the best all-round fighter of WW II was the P 51D, with a 100 % english two-stage mechanical blower...

Last edited:
I have seen many references to BRISTOL AeroEngine experimental research into turbochargers but I have yet to find any comprehensive detail. Does anyone have any useful web-links to information on these experiments by BRISTOL? Thanks.
Hi
For information some extracts from wartime books on superchargers used on Bristol aero engines, from 'Aeronautical Engineering' Ed. R A Beaumont, Chapter V 'Supercharging of Aero Engines:
WW2aswusuk025.jpg

WW2aswusuk026.jpg

WW2aswusuk027.jpg

WW2aswusuk028.jpg

Also from 'Internal Combustion Engines Illustrated', Chapter 12 'Supercharging of Engines' by J L Batchelor:
WW2aswusuk029.jpg

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back