Brother Blackwell - A-36 Apache pilot

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Until drgondog set us straight, I thought the A-36 WAS the Apache.
Knowledgeable people still refer to the "Long Lance", "Whistling Death" and "Ground Hog" and we all know what they're talking about. A catchy name is applied at some point and it sticks. If someone calls a plane "Apache", we all have a good idea it's one of the earlier Allison powered Mustangs.
Not everyone has access to drgondog.

Tom Griffith does. Mustangtmg was a major assist on proofreading our Book.

Ok I have a couple more tidbits from the saga of Brother Blackwell.

Here is his hat (leather flying helmet). From the narrative I don't know when he got it back, but apparently he did at some point. (I only really read the parts I already posted about flying the A-36)

Attachments

• IMG_20210816_180139249.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20210816_180144142~2.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20210816_180202396~2.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20210816_180217852~2.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 17
I have a question --- did the A-36 pilot to the best of your knowledge, on his own, ever use the name "Apache" for the A-36A Mustang in conversations or correspondence?

I'm VERY interested in everything related to the A-36A, and trying to establish - through actual research - just WHEN, WHERE and by WHOM the "Apache" name was first (mis)used as the "official name" for the A-36A.

I mean no disrespect to folks who call it "Apache," but that NEVER was its official name. The more I'm digging, the more I'm finding that it seemed to "crop up" in the 1970s.

Please get back to me on this.

Thank you.

Tom Griffith

Hi, I think I answered this earlier in the thread. I do not know the answer but I don't recall Blackwell using the apparently very controversial term 'Apache' in his memoir, I think he just said A-36 and Mustang. I (unfortunately) used it for it's pop culture familiarity, since many people don't seem to know about the A-36 or Allison-engined Mustang types. Some people here are very familiar with the type but others are not.

I see it a bit like so many other types of WW2 military hardware which seemed to acquire names after the war. The US generally tended to use letters and numbers, when the names were around they were often not used in the field, or other nicknames were used.

I'm no kind of expert on the A-36 or any variant of Mustang and only wanted to share the story of this one specific pilot, who I also did not know, but did on behalf of a person who was a family friend of this guy. It was just a way to memorialize his service, and share the part of his memoir that I believed people here would find interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread