Cadet Pressure

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

billrunnels

Distinguished Member
B-17 Bombardier
8AF, 303bg, 360bs
Oct 13, 2017
Minnesota, USA
My Army Air Corps Cadet training began July 8, 1943 and was completed September 30, 1944. My pay during this period was $21 a month plus $75 in the months involving four hours of flight time. During this fourteen month period the fear of "washing out" of the program was a constant concern. That pressure was still on the day before graduation when I had to drop 15 practice bombs to meet the 200 release requirement. Making this day especially tough was I had a Captain check rider on the last flight.

Our Bombardier class 44-13 graduated 227 cadets. We were all seated in the auditorium not knowing if our rank would be 2nd Lt. or Flight Officer. The pressure was still on. We didn't know until they introduced us using the rank. The pressure subsided the minute they announced 2nd Lt. Billy L. Runnels and presented my Graduation Certificate, wings and commission. The final count was 137 2nd Lt. and 90 Flight Officers.

I experienced little or no pressure for the balance of my training including mission flights. I look back at that time in life and wonder how in the world did I do it.

I would say the answer to "how did (you) do it" is simple. You were chosen because you had what it took. It would be more surprising to me if you hadn't been able to do it.

NOTE TO EVERYONE: I am a real nOoB on this site, so I'm just getting my feet wet and catching up to some of the goings on around here. For any other new (or newer) folks that might like to see who the gentleman is who posted this thread, may I recommend this site, 303rd Bomb Group (H) - Molesworth, England . I've been digging through there for a couple hours now and I'm loving every minute of it.

For some reason, I keep finding pictures of this young guy (front row, second from the right) on that website. I wonder who he might be. ;)

360lacker.jpg

Salute, Bill! May their sacrifice never be forgotten.

-Irish

Last edited:
My Army Air Corps Cadet training began July 8, 1943 and was completed September 30, 1944. My pay during this period was $21 a month plus $75 in the months involving four hours of flight time. During this fourteen month period the fear of "washing out" of the program was a constant concern. That pressure was still on the day before graduation when I had to drop 15 practice bombs to meet the 200 release requirement. Making this day especially tough was I had a Captain check rider on the last flight.

Our Bombardier class 44-13 graduated 227 cadets. We were all seated in the auditorium not knowing if our rank would be 2nd Lt. or Flight Officer. The pressure was still on. We didn't know until they introduced us using the rank. The pressure subsided the minute they announced 2nd Lt. Billy L. Runnels and presented my Graduation Certificate, wings and commission. The final count was 137 2nd Lt. and 90 Flight Officers.

I experienced little or no pressure for the balance of my training including mission flights. I look back at that time in life and wonder how in the world did I do it.
Your career is fascinating to those of us that are too young to have served in WWII. Please keep posting about your experiences. Nothing is too minor or mundane. Training, daily life, and missions, anything you can recall. They don't call you the "Greatest Generation" for nothing. Thank you for your service, sir.

Just asking, I read that pilot training took nine months, but your bombardier training took 14 months. Is the nine month pilot training accurate?

Thanks again.

Your career is fascinating to those of us that are too young to have served in WWII. Please keep posting about your experiences. Nothing is too minor or mundane. Training, daily life, and missions, anything you can recall. They don't call you the "Greatest Generation" for nothing. Thank you for your service, sir.

Just asking, I read that pilot training took nine months, but your bombardier training took 14 months. Is the nine month pilot training accurate?

Thanks again.
Depends on when you start the count. The 14 month period I quoted started the day I enlisted to Graduation.It included Basic, CTD(College Training Detachment), Classification, Pre-Flight and Bombardier School. I was a Cadet the entire period. However, if you use only the last phase of training Bombardier School about 4.5 months, Navigator 7 and Pilot 9.

Depends on when you start the count. The 14 month period I quoted started the day I enlisted to Graduation.It included Basic, CTD(College Training Detachment), Classification, Pre-Flight and Bombardier School. I was a Cadet the entire period. However, if you use only the last phase of training Bombardier School about 4.5 months, Navigator 7 and Pilot 9.
Thanks.

I would say the answer to "how did (you) do it" is simple. You were chosen because you had what it took. It would be more surprising to me if you hadn't been able to do it.

NOTE TO EVERYONE: I am a real nOoB on this site, so I'm just getting my feet wet and catching up to some of the goings on around here. For any other new (or newer) folks that might like to see who the gentleman is who posted this thread, may I recommend this site, 303rd Bomb Group (H) - Molesworth, England . I've been digging through there for a couple hours now and I'm loving every minute of it.

For some reason, I keep finding pictures of this young guy (top row, second from the right) on that website. I wonder who he might be. ;)

View attachment 499814

-Irish
I am not that tall handsome guy top row second from right

For some reason, I keep finding pictures of this young guy (top row, second from the right) on that website. I wonder who he might be. ;)

View attachment 499814

-Irish
I am not that tall handsome guy top row 2nd from right, his name was Foster our radio operator. I am the one kneeling in front of him. :salute:

I am not that tall handsome guy top row second from right
I am not that tall handsome guy top row 2nd from right, his name was Foster our radio operator. I am the one kneeling in front of him. :salute:

I fixed it. My apologies. For some reason, I meant to type front row and somehow typed top row instead. That's what I get for trying to do more than one thing at a time. Man, it sucks to get old. ;)

-Irish

At age 93 I know how you feelo_O

Awwww, c'mon... At least most guys, when they're 93, have the courtesy to ACT it. Geez, you seem younger than me (61). (You must never have had kids.) :D :D :D :D :D

Tell me... Did you ever travel to Central or South America? Perhaps take a drink from a certain fountain? So...where is it? I must know!

-Irish

Awwww, c'mon... At least most guys, when they're 93, have the courtesy to ACT it. Geez, you seem younger than me (61). (You must never have had kids.) :D :D :D :D :D

Tell me... Did you ever travel to Central or South America? Perhaps take a drink from a certain fountain? So...where is it? I must know!

-Irish
I have toured South America but no drink from a fountain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back