Camouflage paint on USAAC L4J Grasshopper

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The undersides of wings were painted mid-gray from Spring 1945.

Does anyone know if the undersides of the tail-plane were also painted mid-gray.

I am in process of repainting my 1944 veteran L4J.

Hi Bilicub. The L4 Cub/Grasshopper with the USAAC/USAAF was painted in Olive Drab 41, with Neutral Grey 43 undersides, during it's entire operational service in the ETO. (There were a few exceptions). The upper leading and trailing edges of the wings and tailplanes, and the fin and rudder, were finished with a wave , or 'blotch' pattern, of Medium Green 42, from late 1943.
Where AEAF ('Invasion') stripes were carried, these were as shown in the attached drawings (by Mike Keep.), being removed from upper surfaces from about late July/early August, 1944.
Lovely little bird to fly, the Cub. Hope this helps.
Terry.

Attachments

• Cub 001.jpg
    Cub 001.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 492
  • Cub.jpg
    Cub.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 690
  • Cub 002.jpg
    Cub 002.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 413
Bili, NATO green is very close to Olive Drab 41. If you really want a close match, bearing in mind that OD faded quickyi in the Europen (British!!) weather, then the addition of a small amount of Dark Earth will do the job.
The Neutral Gray colour is very close to British Light Aircraft Grey, or put another way, similar to grey primer! If you need pics of the colours, just give me a shout.
Terry.

Here you are samples of the mentioned by Terry colours.

Attachments

• Medium Green 42.jpg
    Medium Green 42.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 186
  • Neutral Grey 43.jpg
    Neutral Grey 43.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 212
  • Olive Drab 41.jpg
    Olive Drab 41.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 210
Thanks Wojtek!
Bili, the grey posted by Wurger may look slightly darker, on a monitor screen, than it should in 'real life'. The actual mix I would say would be around 40% Black, 60% white, possibly 25% black/75% white, depending on the black paint used. The nearest I can think of that you might be able to compare with easily, is the 'Air Defence Grey' of, for example, the old RAF Phantoms, and the Tornado F3's. Think meduim grey primer, as obtained from Halfords for car body repair work, and you're not far out.
Before going to the expense of buying and applying CAA approved (or acceptable) paints, it might be worthwhile visiting a model shop, and buying a tinlet of each colour, as a guide. Most shops should have either Humbrol or Revell enamels,which will give a quick example, without any special preparation. If this is not possible, PM me an address, and I'll paint some onto some card and send the swatch to you, so that you'll have the actual colours to compare.
Terry.

OK Terry. I have made the NG slightly lighter.Is that better?

Attachments

• Neutral Grey 43_.jpg
    Neutral Grey 43_.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 182
Nice work Wojtek! I'd say that's about as close as you can get for an 'electronic' image.
Bili, the last colour Wurger posted is about right - bear in mind though that, when seen on a 'large' area, such as a wing, it will appear lighter still than on the relatively small area shown on the monitor screen.
The partly-built model in my siggy, although NOT NG, is fairly close to a wethered example.

I've found these profiles.

Attachments

• L3 Grasshopper.jpg
    L3 Grasshopper.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 263
  • Grasshopper L4_1.jpg
    Grasshopper L4_1.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 352
  • Grasshopper L4_2.jpg
    Grasshopper L4_2.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 312
  • Grasshopper L4_.zip
    202.7 KB · Views: 147
Gentlemen,
Thank you for your input. I'm a bit surpised as the 'mid-grey' looks like an RAF duck egg blue on my screen!
But I will accept the word of experts.
Again thank you
BILI

Users who are viewing this thread

Back