Can anyone help identify this part from a crashed ww2 plane in Belgium? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ArcheoDLH

Recruit
Jan 17, 2022
Hello everyone, I'm an archaeologist in Belgium and on the site of a former ww2 airfield in Maldegem, Belgium we have discovered several airplane-parts. The part on the pictures has text on it, so I think it should be identifiable. Some extra info about the airfield: it was constructed by the Belgian army, taken over by the Germans in 1940, where they later stationed Italians. It was bombed in 1943-1944 by the Americans and later recaptured by the Canadians. So basically everyone has been on the airstrip at some point or another. Any insight is welcome! Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_5958.JPG
    IMG_5958.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_5962.JPG
    IMG_5962.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_5957.JPG
    IMG_5957.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 64
The words are English so that narrows things down somewhat.

Was the airfield operational post war is one question? If yes who used it?

Can you type out the actual words on the panel - I cannot read it all and spelling will identify if it was probably a US or Brit aircraft.

What material is it? Alloy or stainless steel? In the photo it looks stainless but that could just be lighting.

And most important - look for part numbers. These will probably be stamped into the metal about 6mm high and can identify not only which aircraft type but what part of the aircraft - right down to exact location in many cases - but not the aircraft serial number.

The words are English so that narrows things down somewhat.

Was the airfield operational post war is one question? If yes who used it?

Can you type out the actual words on the panel - I cannot read it all and spelling will identify if it was probably a US or Brit aircraft.

What material is it? Alloy or stainless steel? In the photo it looks stainless but that could just be lighting.

And most important - look for part numbers. These will probably be stamped into the metal about 6mm high and can identify not only which aircraft type but what part of the aircraft - right down to exact location in many cases - but not the aircraft serial number.
We believe that the Belgian army used the airfield for a brief period of time after the war, not long though.

The words that are visible say:
STARTER MOTOR
ROTATED 180
DEGREES W(?)
STARTER ? (more written behind, but unreadable)
CASTING.

A.F(?). 42-301 2
NAC (or O) MLE NO. 2

I'm pretty sure it's stainless steel. I couldn't find any part numbers, unfortunately.

Thanks!

Stainless makes sense for some engine cowlings.

Starter motor rotated 180 degrees suggests the wording is the result of a modification. The only reason this would normally need to be written on a cowling is if the starter had an external cranking function (which was quite common on American aircraft) like described below. If a type with a rigid shaft that would move the crank hole to the other side of the naccelle. The hole above the label suggests this is true as the hole has two other smaller holes beside it suggesting a cover plate was fitted there as a part of the mod.
Unfortunately I cannot get more specific than that without a part number.

1642502037530.png
1642502387018.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back