Can anyone identify this plane from this June 1918 German footage?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Sep 29, 2023
Germany
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone here would be able to identify this plane?

Its shown in a German propaganda short film from June 1918 about the Third Battle of the Aisne.

The footage was allegedly taken at a French airfield at Magneux, and its implied that this is a French aircraft that was captured by the Germans(?), but I suck at identifying WWI planes.
I know this is primarly a WWII forum, but maybe someone knows something about this ;)

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Wishing you all a great week!

Attachments

• unknown plane june 1918 aisne.png
    unknown plane june 1918 aisne.png
    131.7 KB · Views: 9
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone here would be able to identify this plane?

Its shown in a German propaganda short film from June 1918 about the Third Battle of the Aisne.

The footage was allegedly taken at a French airfield at Magneux, and its implied that this is a French aircraft that was captured by the Germans(?), but I suck at identifying WWI planes.
I know this is primarly a WWII forum, but maybe someone knows something about this ;)

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Wishing you all a great week!
Hi
I agree that the image appears to be of a Halberstadt CL.II. With its white fin and rudder it is in the markings that came into use for Schlasta 2 after April/May 1918 (source page 213, of 'Schlachtflieger!' by Rick Duiven & Dan-San Abbott). If it is Magneux I am not sure, according to page 211 (same source) from about 9 April to 19 May 1918 it was based at Erches, from 19 May to about 6 June it is at St. Loup, although apparently @ 9 June at Villeselve then 3 July at St. Loup then @ 15 July to 9 Aug Villeselve again. However, this does not rule out Magneux as aircraft of the unit might have landed there when the image was taken or it was being used as an 'Advanced Landing Ground' for operations.

Mike

Hi
I agree that the image appears to be of a Halberstadt CL.II. With its white fin and rudder it is in the markings that came into use for Schlasta 2 after April/May 1918 (source page 213, of 'Schlachtflieger!' by Rick Duiven & Dan-San Abbott). If it is Magneux I am not sure, according to page 211 (same source) from about 9 April to 19 May 1918 it was based at Erches, from 19 May to about 6 June it is at St. Loup, although apparently @ 9 June at Villeselve then 3 July at St. Loup then @ 15 July to 9 Aug Villeselve again. However, this does not rule out Magneux as aircraft of the unit might have landed there when the image was taken or it was being used as an 'Advanced Landing Ground' for operations.

Mike
And thank you very much aswell for providing all these details, that's more than I initially hoped for!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back