Canada to buy Reaper drones

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Greyman

Tech Sergeant
Jan 31, 2009
Canadian military buying armed drones - Armed Forces purchasing 11 MQ-9 Reaper drones for $2.49B, delivery expected in 2028

"This agreement to acquire the Remotely Piloted Aircraft System will expand Canada's ability to modernize its military force, contribute to joint intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance operations with its allies, and create good jobs in the aerospace and defence sector." - Defence Minister Bill Blair

GBuwOy6XEAA5rDT?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

With 7,200 km range these will be good for arctic surveillance and polar sovereignty patrols.

MQ-9A_Reaper.jpg

Drones are the best way to patrol the snowy, subzero wastelands. Just ask the Empire.

View: https://youtu.be/5HvvNvIr1go?feature=shared&t=34

Last edited:
Justin sure does like to spend other people's money...

Headline now is $2.49B and 2028. In 2035, the headline will be first drone delivered amidst 632% cost increase.
Our delay on the F-35 has actually been cost beneficial. The per unit cost now is less than when Canada decided on the aircraft a decade ago. And we're getting the latest block.

In 2010 Ottawa announced it would pay CDN$9 billion for 65 jets, equal to $138.5 million a unit. In 2021 when we finally inked the deal for 88 jets the unit cost was much less.

Last edited:
I do not know how the numbers will work out for Canada, but I have read that in general the Reaper (and other similar drone systems) overall costs are coming in at around 25% of the equivalent manned systems for Reaper capable mission(s). This is (unintentionally) somewhat misleading as the Reaper is limited in the types of missions it can perform in comparison to more expensive multipurpose manned systems.

Also, I believe that the intent is to increase satellite reconnaissance assets in conjunction with the Reapers, but this might also have been required for manned systems to one degree or another, so what the change in the cost would be I do not know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back