CHANDLER EVANS SUPER RARE AVIATION DEHYDRATION / SPARK PLUG BOAT AIRPLANE GLASS

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

udaykalburgi

Recruit
Mar 16, 2021
Greetings !
I recently got a small equipment with glass tube, with Valve 6SJ7 and tuning arrangement. I did some search on internet and found the link to the glass piece. - on worthpoint. It is Aviation Dehydration Plug, CHANDLER EVANS SUPER RARE AVIATION DEHYDRATION / SPARK PLUG BOAT AIRPLANE GLASS ,Shaped like and the size/weight of a spark plug. Glass top and what looks to be copper or brass base. It says sure rare, my question why the 6SJ7 valve and the tuning arrangements? Is it to create some high freq to clean the silica gel inside the glass tube?
Any one can please help me to understand this part? could be of some avionics electronics?
Namaste !
Uday K
Bangalore, INDIA

Attachments

• Chandler Evans  Aviation DehydrationPlug  1 .jpg
    Chandler Evans Aviation DehydrationPlug 1 .jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 110
  • Chandler Evans  Aviation DehydrationPlug  3.jpg
    Chandler Evans Aviation DehydrationPlug 3.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 90
  • Chandler Evans  Aviation DehydrationPlug  4.jpg
    Chandler Evans Aviation DehydrationPlug 4.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 72
  • Chandler Evans  Aviation DehydrationPlug 2 .jpg
    Chandler Evans Aviation DehydrationPlug 2 .jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 77
  • Chandler Evans  Aviation DehydrationPlug 5 .jpg
    Chandler Evans Aviation DehydrationPlug 5 .jpg
    135 KB · Views: 68
IMHO the dehydration plug doesn't seem to be the part of the electric system of the unit. It looks like a kind of indication and protection against the moisture that could affect the work of the unit, especially if the device was for a boat. Contrary to that the 6SJ7 tube seems to be the electronic part of the device. Being the vacum pentode it may be a kind of a preamplifier for a tuning or regulating
section.

Thank you for all your replies. I found it is Collins Permeability Tuned Oscillators Model 70E8A. The Chandler Evans Aviation Dehydration Plug is used to keep away moisture. It is to ensure correct capacitance value.

Regards

Uday K

Congratulations on solving the puzzle. The CECO dehydrator would definitely be purely to warn of moisture - the silica gel changes colour with humidity. CECO was one of many companies to make such plugs. Their main line of business was fuel controls and components.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back