China's Navy seems to be getting a bit bold (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yes, I didn't mean the carrier. More like a single PLAN destroyer would enter the Black Sea to make a short visit.

It is interesting that the only carrier I've ever heard of transiting the Bosporus, the out of commission, uncompleted Varag (arguably stolen from Ukraine) is now serving in the PLAN as the Liaoning.
Both Moskva class helicopters, the 4 Kievs and the Kuznetsov were all built in Soviet Black Sea shipyards and subsequently left.

Varyag's problems related to Turkish worries that it would have an accident and block the shipping channels while under tow. So it spent 16 months sailing aimlessly around until it could all be sorted out.

I never tire of Russia's navies antics.
They definitely have the smokiest carrier of all time. Are they using old tires for fuel? Mazut - Wikipedia

3994955700000578-3858514-image-a-2_1477044187141.jpg

Even the USN's coal fired fresh water carriers were less smokey.

USS_Sable_IX-81.jpg

Last edited:
Thats funny, I was thinking the same thing about that floating cigar;) how embarrassing. I do not recall ever coming across it when I was over there. I was not aware of freshwater carriers, assumed they had desalinization systems.

I was not aware of freshwater carriers, assumed they had desalinization systems.
The USS Sable and USS Wolverine were USN training aircraft carriers stationed on the Great Lakes during WWII. They never operated at sea.

As far as the Wolverine's coal-fire exhaust pictured above, she's not under full steam, so the plume would be light.

The Kuznetsov, in spite of it's interesting hybrid propulsion system, never deploys without it's sea-going tugboat like the Nikolay Chiker.

So whatever the Chiker's propulsion system is, is what Kuznetsov's is... :lol:

While the Chinese Navy is the largest, the bulk of their Navy is coastal patrol boats (about 127).
I also wonder what level of tech is being used on the PLAN carriers and larger warships overall. I assume much of the tech is either stolen or attempted copies of Western systems. China's latest large >10k-ton destroyers, the Type 055 look impressive from the outside. But how do they compare against a Japanese Maya-class, for example?

The new Fujian aircraft carrier is now testing its electromagnetic aircraft launch system (EMALS). Considering how long it took the US to get this system working on the Ford class CVNs, the Chinese may need some more time.

I have absolutely no doubt that some of their tech has been stolen from the U.S., Japan and South Korea.
To be fair we stole tea, the fork, gunpowder, the compass, fireworks and the umbrella from China. I'm reading a book right now on tea and how the Chinese refused to sell any tea plants to the British, so the Brits sent in special ops to smuggle tea plants out of China and into India, where once there was not a single tea plant, and by the 1880s there were tea plantations across northern India.

I wonder if President Xi looks upon the West's opioid epidemic as revenge for our push to get China addicted to opium in order to trade for tea.

Paywall free: China is taking revenge for the opium wars

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back