Chrysler Aircraft Engine

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

PWR4360-59B

Senior Airman
May 27, 2008
I saw mention of this in another thread here, so instead of just going off topic there I started this.
Talk about a nightmare design, and all the problems they had to get to the point of it some what working and lasting. Though on some things they did improve some processes a bit. And then there was the just wow cost of it, saying nothing about the wooden engines !

Wooden mockup of the XI-2220 is pictured on page 83 of this book and also about 90 pages describing the engine and its development. Author is Kim McCutcheon who runs the Aviation Engine Historical Society.

Attachments

• CAE_KM.jpg
    CAE_KM.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 155
Wooden engines were far from unknown for use in aircraft mockups. Many lightwight mockup structures would not bear the weight of a regular engine and if the engine was still in development it allowed the airframe makers a 3D model to work out installations with without trying to ship an engine back and forth between the engine maker and the airframe maker.

Wooden engines were far from unknown for use in aircraft mockups. Many lightwight mockup structures would not bear the weight of a regular engine and if the engine was still in development it allowed the airframe makers a 3D model to work out installations with without trying to ship an engine back and forth between the engine maker and the airframe maker.

The Navy used to have Pattern Maker and Molder ratings. I should know when they were disestablished, but I don't.(Think around 97.)
'course now we have 3d printing.

My understanding is that it hadn't been worked up to it's rated HP. I did a FSX flight dynamic for this plane a while back for the well known FS plane maker Milton Shupe. Just for jollies we presumed rated HP, sort of a what if project. About the same time the P47J R2800 equipped aircraft reportedly turned in something like 508 mph in test.

Lots of ideas were tried out during the war, some good, some not. Sometimes interruption of production was too big a burden to bear to bring out a new aircraft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back