Chrysler Hemi Airplane Engine

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

chipieal

Airman
Jul 7, 2013
Billings, Montana
I was wondering if anyone had reliable information about this mysterious motor? I have read 1) it did not exist 2) it was inverted? 3) it was significantly slower than existing motors 4) it was actually placed in a P - 47k with a highly modified nose. My question is simple how in god's name did they fit an inline water-cooled motor into a space for a radial? Also, some sources claim 504 mph at 15,000 feet. If this is the case and what I have read on this site is true that the higher a plane flies the faster it can go -- how fast would it have been at say 30,000 feet. The only thing I an sure of is why it was not produced. The time frame indicates that jets were already in service so why bother Lastly, if this has already been discussed, I apologize

The Chrysler engine existed.

It was the I-2220, or IV-2220, and inverted V-16 with power take-off from the centre of the crankshaft.

The cylinder design was based on the US Army "hyper" engine cylinder, which had been developed in the early 1930s.

The engine flew in the XP-47H. No, it did not do 504mph.

The engine was longer, but significantly smaller in frontal section.

Power was similar to the Rolls-Royce Griffon, which was similar capacity, but it was about 50% longer.

I believe you can find all of your answers in this 178 page book, by Kim McCutcheon. He is president of the Aircraft Engine Historical Society and this book is full of details, charts, photos, interviews, and test reports. As Wuzak noted, it was the XP-47H that had the engine. Book is by Weak Force Press, Huntsville, AL. 2012 Lib of Cong Nr. 2012952921.

BTW, three of the six engines built survive. One is on display at the New England Air Museum near Bradley Field Hartford, CT., the second is in storage at NASM, and the third is at the Walter P. Chrysler Museum, I assume in Detroit.

Tony

Attachments

• Chrysler_Aircraft_Engines.jpg
    Chrysler_Aircraft_Engines.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
My question is simple how in god's name did they fit an inline water-cooled motor into a space for a radial?
It's not unusual and had been done in several cases:
Fw190D (from Fw190A)
P-40 (from P-36)
MC.202 (from MC.200)

And the reverse:
KI-100 (from KI-61)
La-5 (from LaGG-3)

There's more, but these are good examples.

The Walter P. Chrysler Museum is in Auburn Hills, Michigan, next to, and sharing parking area with, the FCA (Fiat-Chrysler America) World Headquarters. Many other wonders reside in that Museum, aside from that BEAST of an aero-engine. I drive past that place every day, on my way to my work. My brother actually works in the FCA Headquarters, in the Technical Development section, on engines.

Tom Fey thanks for a great video. One thing you cannot deny that was a strange looking bird. So where did the 504 mph figure come from? And in the video, Mr. Breer stated that the XP47 was "way faster than the radial equipped P - 47. Any guesses how fast?

So where did the 504 mph figure come from?
That number was wistful thinking that developed into an urban legend. In my book Chrysler Aircraft Engines I explore the actual flight reports in detail and and relate extensive interviews with the engineer who oversaw the flight test program. On page 141, I summarize as follows:
"2. The highest speed recorded at military power (3,400 rpm, 71 inHgA) was 380 mph at 11,800 ft. This was achieved on 17 Aug 1945 during flight No. 7. At the 73°C manifold mixture temperature recorded that day, the engine was producing 2,443 hp. No acceptable data was obtained for higher altitudes. The Republic report presents a different value of 393 mph at 20,000 ft,74 but this was derived from unreliable data."
As you can see, this is nowhere near the 504 mph value. In its defense, the P-47H was only flown for about eighteen hours, much of which was spent trying to get the turbosupercharger and other engine systems working right. Perhaps with more testing the engineering team would have bettered 380 mph. But another 124 mph? No way.

The highest speed recorded at military power (3,400 rpm, 71 inHgA) was 380 mph at 11,800 ft. This was achieved on 17 Aug 1945 during flight No. 7. At the 73°C manifold mixture temperature recorded that day, the engine was producing 2,443 hp. No acceptable data was obtained for higher altitudes. The Republic report presents a different value of 393 mph at 20,000 ft,74 but this was derived from unreliable data."

That appears to be similar performance to a P-47D, but using slightly more power.

That appears to be similar performance to a P-47D, but using slightly more power.
Correct. The XP-47H was nothing but a test bed for the engine. There was little-to-no refinement of the cooling system, cowling, etc. Hence, cooling drag was high. It is counter-intuitive that more air is required to cool a liquid-cooled engine than an air-cooled one. The inlets, outlets, ducting, radiators, etc., must be very carefully designed to handle all that air if cooling drag is minimized.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back