Comparative performance of British fighters 1945.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

NeilStirling

Airman
Oct 6, 2006
I thought this may be of interest.
Power figures using 100/130 grade fuel.

Part of AIR 19/310

The figures for the Tempest VI are for the initial version "temperate" however most were modified to operate in tropical conditions and topped out at 440mph with a lower full throttle height.

Neil.

Attachments

• IMG_2578.jpeg
    IMG_2578.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 27
I thought this may be of interest.
Power figures using 100/130 grade fuel.

Part of AIR 19/310

The figures for the Tempest VI are for the initial version "temperate" however most were modified to operate in tropical conditions and topped out at 440mph with a lower full throttle height.

Neil.

Thanks for the datasheet Neil, this is indeed very interesting.

But could I ask how a Tempest Mk.2 could carry 218 gallons of internal fuel? According to the Pilot's Notes, which suggest its fuel capacity is only 160 gallons.

Attachments

• TempestIIFuelCap.png
    TempestIIFuelCap.png
    151.7 KB · Views: 10
Somewhere . . . on the internet, i ran across a mention (in something official) of studies to increase the range of the Tempest by increasing internal fuel. Both the UK and US participated in the study, similar to what happened with the Spitfire.

I do not remember what the website was, but I copied down some of the data:

Tempest Mk II internal fuel was increased from 160 Impgal to 185 Impgal, and range increased from 790 miles to 900 miles
Tempest Mk V internal fuel was increased from 162 Impgal to 192 Impgal, and range increased from 740 miles to 890 miles

The chart I ran across did not specify the exact changes or cruise conditions.

It might be from AIR 19/286 or 19/288

Last edited:
Somewhere . . . on the internet, i ran across a mention (in something official) of studies to increase the range of the Tempest by increasing internal fuel. Both the UK and US participated in the study, similar to what happened with the Spitfire.

I do not remember what the website was, but I copied down some of the data:

Tempest Mk II internal fuel was increased from 160 Impgal to 185 Impgal, and range increased from 790 miles to 900 miles
Tempest Mk V internal fuel was increased from 162 Impgal to 192 Impgal, and range increased from 740 miles to 890 miles
Perhaps this:

RAF Long Range Fighter Details W.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back