Control column

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Chops

Recruit
Dec 24, 2023
I note that the early Bf109s had a "spade grip" type control column whereas later marks had a "stick type". When did the change occur, was it by a specific mark (for example Bf109C) or were they retrofitted to earlier types during refits and maintenance?

IIRC the "spade grip" type contol column was used for the prototypes and so-called pre-production A series only. I can't remind myself any evidence the type control stick was used for B/C and D production variants. According to the russian sources the tested Bf 109 by them was of the B-1 and had the kind of the control column attached. But the aircraft was acquired from the Spain and that's very likely it could be one of the pre-production Antons sent there. The stick type KG12A or B seems to be the main one used for the production aircraft.

B model stick

1708802520007.png

IIRC the "spade grip" type contol column was used for the prototypes and so-called pre-production A series only. I can't remind myself any evidence the type control stick was used for B/C and D production variants. According to the russian sources the tested Bf 109 by them was of the B-1 and had the kind of the control column attached. But the aircraft was acquired from the Spain and that's very likely it could be one of the pre-production Antons sent there. The stick type KG12A or B seems to be the main one used for the production aircraft.
Thank you for your reply. I'll put the stick type in the cockpits of B and later types (in 1/72 who is going to nitpick the cockpits?) and use the spade type for prototype (V1 to V4), A series and Swiss machines only. As an aside I wonder why the Swiss Bf109Es were issued with the spade grip, were these factory installed or modified by the Swiss?

Actually the Swiss Bf 109Eas were slightly different from the Luftawffe machines. The control stick was one of the different details . As memo serves all the early Bf109s for the Swiss AF were the depleted variants made according to the Swiss specification. Also a couple of them were made under a licence in Switzerland later. So no wonder they used the KG11 spade grip that seems to fit better the manual operating stuff of the aircraft used by the Swiss and be a cheaper than the KG12B for instance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back