Dambuster Lancaster Bomb -aimers window

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A practice 'Upkeep' weapon attached to the bomb bay of Wing Commander Guy Gibson's Avro Type 464 (Provisioning) Lancaster, ED932/G 'AJ-G', at Manston, Kent, while conducting dropping trials off Reculver.
bouncing-bomb-595x438.jpg

No. 617 Squadron practice dropping the 'Upkeep' weapon at Reculver bombing range, Kent. Second launch sequence (5): a group of observers watches as the bomb bounces toward the shoreline. Dr Barnes Wallis, on the extreme left of the group, can be seen urging the bomb on.
FLM-2343-595x446.jpg

1942: Barnes Wallis using marbles in his garden to test Dambuster bouncing bomb idea.
21114_10152802068985487_2143665840_n.jpg

Last edited:
You may also be interested to know that the Elvington Air Museum just outside of York has a genuine "Bouncing Bomb"

There are a few Upkeep mines around; there's one at IWM Duxford and another concrete round outside the Petwood Hotel in Lincolnshire and I think, one at Brooklands, too. The RAF Museum has the contents of Wallis' office, including the sling device in tht picture Stug3 provided and had them placed in a mock up of his office. There was also a cutaway mock up of an Upkeep, I don't know if this is still on display.

A reconnaissance image of the Eder dam before raid.
eder-dam-595x354.jpg

The breach in the dam wall made by the bouncing bomb.
eder-dam-after-595x392.jpg

Another German picture of the breach in the dam.
Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-637-4192-12_Zerst%C3%B6rte_M%C3%B6hnetalsperre-595x395.jpg

Aerial reconnaissance (vertical) photograph showing the breach in the Mohne Dam caused by No 617 Squadron, Royal Air Force's raid on 16 May 1943. The Eder Dam was breached in the same operation by means of 'bouncing' bombs designed by Dr Barnes Wallis. This spectacular feat of precision bombing had tremendous propaganda value, although its practical effects were less great than some had hoped.
Mohne-dam-breached-595x446.jpg

The breach in the Mohne Dam four hours after the Dambusters raid in May 1943.
mohne-dam-breached-1-595x427.jpg

And there's this one at the Newark Air Museum, with my mate Mick to give scale.

Attachments

• C Fest 041.jpg
    C Fest 041.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 77
There are a few Upkeep mines around;/QUOTE]

Thanks! I know it's pedantic but you have no idea how many people refer to the Upkeep mine as a bomb. I understand that it is due to the oft used phrase "bouncing bomb" but it's always nice when someone gets it right :)

Cheers

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back