Dambuster Lancaster Nose Turret Modifications

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ronl

Airman
Dec 23, 2006
The 617 Sqn Dambuster Lancasters had their nose turrets modified to add stirrups for the nose gunners feet and canvas bags to catch the expended shell cases and links. Does anyone have any pictures or drawings showing these modifications that they could post?

Thanks.

Ronl

I've never seen any, and I was asked a similar question some years ago. At that time, I asked a contact at the Avro Heritage Center at Woodford, only a few miles from where I live (the factory is now closed, and the site ready for re-development). As the mods were done on the Squadron, they didn't have any info either.
It's possible, that there might be some info, though doubtful, via the museum at Scampton, where Gibson's office is preserved and open to visitors.
I'm afraid I don't have an actual address, but perhaps a letter to RAF Scampton, Guy Gibson Museum, Scampton, Lincolnshire, UK, might find it's way to the right place?

Airframes,

Thanks for the information. I may try contacting the museum at Scampton. However, as you suggest, since the mods were done at squadron level, and things were very secret, it is doubtful that there will be anything there. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back