'Darky' location system over England

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Grittis

Airman
May 7, 2019
I am looking for an official description of the location system called "Darky" used by Allied aircraft over England during the years before GEE came into use. I have run across its mention in a few veteran narratives as a sound based network for location and vectoring of aircraft in low visibility situations attempting to find their destination. Does anyone have a detailed description and a time period for which it was the main tool for helping lost or visibility compromised planes find a suitable landing site?

I am looking for an official description of the location system called "Darky" used by Allied aircraft over England during the years before GEE came into use. I have run across its mention in a few veteran narratives as a sound based network for location and vectoring of aircraft in low visibility situations attempting to find their destination. Does anyone have a detailed description and a time period for which it was the main tool for helping lost or visibility compromised planes find a suitable landing site?
Hi
'Despatch on War Operations' by Sir Arthur T. Harris, page 64, has the following:
Image_20240728_0001.jpg

Mike

Thank you, MikeMeech and EwenS for your response. Great info.
My father was a B-24 navigator out of Hethel in Apr, '44. He was trained on a Gee set after arriving. He could guide the plane down to either end of the runway with it. He didn't mention Darky even as a back-up so I assume that it was sufficiently obsolete by then.
I now understand how the original system could be useful for location. The low power transmission would only be heard by the nearest listening post. (Drawbacks with a whole flight coming in with IFR conditions)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back