Dauntless pilot photo help

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

treetopflyer

Recruit
Aug 3, 2008
I have come across this picture that a Ruby Tuesday restaurant was going to throw out during remodeling. I have looked all over the web for a reprint of it and I am unable to find anything. I have also looked in several Naval aviation historical books and have found nothing. The company that did the interior design for the restaurant doesn't have any info on it either. The back of the print has no information what so ever. It is obviously of a Dauntless and I am assuming that it is a training squadron just by the look of the aviators and the newness of their gear. Since I am also assuming that they would not be wearing their flight jackets in the South Pacific Theatre.
Can anyone provide me with any additional info? The one name that I can make out on one of the name tags is W.C. Tietjen. He is the guy fifth from the left in the back row. I am curious as to why this particular picture was enlarged, framed and put in a national chain restaurant and there is apparently no other reprints. Any info provided would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

DSCF2843.gif

DSCF2704.gif

DSCF2842.gif

Nobody is carrying a weapon; I can only see two jackets with pilots wings, including your W.C. Tietjen. Looks to me to be somewhere state-side. Too small for a squadron, wrong number for a division. Offhand I'd say you're looking at a bunch of students and their instructors.

Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

Back