December 7, 1941

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Closest I got to that was when I was a 3rd grader. I did a book report on "The Sinking of the Bismarck ". The teacher told me airplanes don't carry torpedoes.
Perhaps she assumed that laser guided bombs would be more efficient

One very serious problem is that a lot of people don't want history to be taught; they want their particular story to be taught, such as the Lost Cause myth (the secessionists believed in states' rights only when it served their interests; the same people who advocated the nullification doctrine also went ballistic when states weren't enforcing fugitive slave laws) or that Pilgrims came to North America for religious freedom (their attitude towards other religions was, at best, horrible).

I won't even get into trying to teach biology (I don't); at least

Last edited:
When we got the remote control turrets operational on our B-29 at the Museum of Flight, we used to give demos to small groups of people. After one demonstration, one of the viewers said "It's just like a video game". That really annoyed me, but on further reflection he was right. The gunner just points his gunsight at the oncoming airplane and hits the trigger. Similar to some of the games I used to play in the Arcades of the late 1940's.

Not just Americans. To someone born in the 1980s or later the Second World War seems about as historic or distant as the Spanish-American War, Battle of Trafalgar or the Varian Disaster.

As for myself, I've just finished ten episodes of probably the best summation of Pearl Harbour I've ever seen.

Some years ago I started to see this guy series about WWI in the 100th aniversary. Was very worth to saw it.

Didn't know he was doing for WWII. I will start watching.

Thanks for posting!

Not just Americans. To someone born in the 1980s or later the Second World War seems about as historic or distant as the Spanish-American War, Battle of Trafalgar or the Varian Disaster.

As for myself, I've just finished ten episodes of probably the best summation of Pearl Harbour I've ever seen.

Can someone explain to me how Japan is 5 1/2 hours time difference from Hawaii?

Can someone explain to me how Japan is 5 1/2 hours time difference from Hawaii?
Time zones are often arbitrarily decided. Look at China, how can the entire country have a single time zone?

World_Time_Zones_Map.png

Time zones are often arbitrarily decided. Look at China, how can the entire country have a single time zone?

View attachment 604699
So, in the docu, the narrator says 5.5 hour diff. but I know that if I call back home in Yamato, my sister will tell me it is 0806 there while it is 1306 here in Hawaii. I simply do not understand where the 1/2 hour comes from, Thanks ADM

View attachment 604699
Easy, I worked there, you just have a different start and finish time for your life. My grandmother used to have her days work done by 10AM summer or winter as in Germany, if she had a "busy day" in summer she got up at sunrise, which is around 4.30AM. I worked on a 24 hr system most of my life, you get used to anything. Europe ostensibly has pretty similar time zones, but the Germans and Dutch aren't there on Friday afternoons, the Spanish and most French have 2 hours at midday, rural Italy just downs tools for two months when things are being harvested and forget the UK between mid December and early January.

50% of people killed in the Blitz on London were killed by British AA fire, here is the proof, I was banned from Facebook for a month for calling the poster of this an idiot. It is based on research and reports on WW1 in 1938 https://www.historyhit.com/how-thou...killed-by-british-shells-in-the-london-blitz/

Unfortunately when I read the article, it doesn't by any means come close to your statement '50% of people killed in the Blitz on London were killed by British AA fire'

For Example
A large proportion of the deaths, perhaps as many as half, were caused not by the German air force, but rather by the British army and their artillery. Please notice perhaps

A total of 55 civilians were killed during the bombing, 10 of whom died as a result of the artillery fire not a 50% ratio

One expert working at Cambridge's Cavendish Laboratory estimated that half the shells exploded at ground level and that they killed as many people as the German bombs.
If true, this would mean that the British army and their artillery were responsible for over 25,000 deaths in Britain during the Second World War
Because half the shells landed on the ground does not mean that they killed half the people. That assumes that if all the shells had hit the ground they would have killed all the people which is nonsense.

Beginning on Sunday, 8 September 1940, when an artillery shell landed outside a café near Kings Cross, killing 17 people, the death toll from anti-aircraft fire was constant and unrelenting No doubt this incident happened and its a tragedy, but I would be willing to bet a hell of a lot more people were killed in that raid.

In the Midlands district of Tipton, 23 civilians were killed during air raids during the Second World War. 11 of these deaths were caused by German bombs, but 12 died during an incident on 21 December 1940, when a wedding party was taking place in a pub in the village of Tividale. Again a tragedy but if they were holding a wedding party in a pub in a village then almost certainly they were not the target of the raid. I would be interested to know how many were killed in the raid itself before making headline statements. A similar comment applies to the WRNS in the Hotel.

When writers start using inflammatory language such as It is only since 1945 that we have chosen to forget about the unpalatable fact that our own artillery was shelling towns and cities and massacring thousands of civilians. I always start to look at it with a sceptical eye.

China has one time zone becasue the government wants everyone at the same time in the entire country. It's easy. You adjust your hours to account for day and might or you change your sleep patterns to adjust to the local time. After awhile, it isn't an adjustment, it's normal.

They hit the battleships because there weren't any carriers there. I think Admiral Kimmel had dispatched U.S.S. Saratoga to the coast a few days earlier. U.S.S. Enterprise was actually scheduled to drop anchor right by U.S.S. Utah just as the first bombs were falling.
I've heard a possible "Caidinism" that target ship Utah may have looked like a carrier with all the protective planks. Utah was moored in Enterprise's spot.

They hit the battleships because there weren't any carriers there.
But you don't disable the USN's offensive ability by sinking USS Saratoga (CV-3) and Enterprise (CV-6).

Carrier Locations - Pearl Harbor Attack

There's still USS Lexington (CV-2), Yorktown (CV-5), Ranger (CV-4) and Wasp (CV-7), Hornet (CV-8) plus three Essex class under construction. It just doesn't make sense. If Japan wanted to destroy the USN offensive capability it needed to know where the US carriers are and assign assets to kill each carrier, piecemeal if necessary. For example, until early December 1941 USS Saratoga was being overhauled at the Puget Sound Navy Yard, Bremerton, Washington. The IJN had the spy network and long range submarines to wait to torpedo the ship. Precision kills is the traditional Japanese way, not the sloppy sledgehammer they deployed on Dec. 7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back